8 replies to this topic

#1 ahnenforscherschmitt

ahnenforscherschmitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:21 AM

Hello!  This is my first post.

I was wondering if there is a way to change the source type, or merge it with another type?  I have a source type that is ancestry record.  In fact I got it from Ancestry.com.  In this type of source, the author is only treated as a person's name.  RM wants to add a comma where none is needed.  For example the bibliography starts out like this:  , Ancestry.com.... (starting with a comma).  How would I go about changing this source to a website with multiple databases?  I have already cited it multiple times.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

#2 ahnenforscherschmitt

ahnenforscherschmitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

I found out how to merge sources.  I just needed to tweak my search of these forums.  However the problem with the comma still remains.  I got a source from a database on Ancestry.com.  So I think the author should be "Ancestry.com," correct?  However, RM treats "Ancestry.com" as a person's last name and adds a comma before it in the bibliography:

, Ancestry.com (rest of bibliography)

Is there a way to eliminate the comma?  Or should I be using a different source type?  Or should I leave the author blank?  In which case the bibliography begins with the name of the database in quotation marks.  Would that be correct?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!  

Thanks!

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:14 AM

To suppress the extraneous comma when only a single word is entered in a name field of a source and that field value is reversed in the footnote sentence is impossible without software revision, iirc. The 'standard' calls for the name to be reversed and the sentence template uses the :reverse modifier on the author field. I cannot think of a way that the sentence template language can test the value for the number of words so that the :reverse modifier could be switched.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3526 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

It is not as easy to change a Master Source from one Source Template template to another Source Template as it ought to be. And RM's built-in templates themselves cannot be changed. Therefore, one recommendation you will occasionally hear from experienced RM users is not to use RM's built-in templates at all. Even if you don't want to design your own Source Templates, the recommendation is to use copies of RM's built-in Source Templates rather than using the originals because the originals cannot be edited and the copies can be edited. I suspect that virtually nobody follows this recommendation. For example, I do design my own Source Templates rather than using either the originals or copies of the originals. But if you made your own Source Templates, either from scratch or as copies of the built-in Source Templates, you could probably solve your problem by tweaking your templates.

That being said, your problem is the way many of RM's source templates deal with the author field, especially the author field in the Bibliography sentence. In particular, the author should not be reversed in the Footnote sentence nor in the Short Footnote sentence, but should be reversed in the Bibliography sentence. Except that some authors are not a single person. Instead, there can be multiple authors or the author can be be an organization such as a Historical Society or a Genealogical Society. So sometimes the author in a Bibliography sentence should not be reversed after all. Some of  RM's Source Templates (I'm thinking particularly of the proliferation of different Source Templates for books) deal with this situation by having one Source Template for an individual author and a different source template for an organization as an author. I avoid this problem in my own templates by having a dummy variable that I can use as a switch in the template and that doesn't even appear in the final sentence.

You didn't mention which of RM's Source Templates you are using. I could provide a little more informed recommendation if I knew which Source Template it was. But in general, you could make a copy of the template you are using, change the copy not to reverse the author's name, and use the copy of the template for a source such as ancestry. Which again raises the question of which template you are using and whether it supports a repository field.

Jerry

P.S. I wanted to mention also that perhaps ancestry should be treated as a repository rather than as an author. But to tell you the truth, I don't know exactly how to do that in RM short of making your own templates that allow ancestry to be specified in a Repository field. RM's user interface for Master Sources supports a Repository field, but the Repository field is stored in RM's Address table rather in RM's Source Table. There are no Source Template Language variables to fetch the Repository information from the Address table because Source Template Language variables can only fetch from the Source Table.There are a good number of RM's built-in templates that support a Repository field on their own, totally separate from the Repository field that is stored in the Address table. This seems like a curiously awkward design to me, especially since for physical repositories you really do need all the data that's in the Address table.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1504 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

You CAN force RM to treat "Ancestry.com" as a surname in Source templates,

Simply add slashes before and after, as in "/Ancestry.com/"

The image below shows the custom Source Template that I use for almost all of my documentation. The important addition, for me, is the inclusion of Repositories in the Bibliography sentence.

The image also shows the effect of slashes in the Author field.

rm7-custom-source-author-slashes.png

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3526 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:39 AM

You CAN force RM to treat "Ancestry.com" as a surname in Source templates,

Simply add slashes before and after, as in "/Ancestry.com/"

I didn't know that, and it's good to know. It could simplify things for me a great deal with certain sources.

Jerry

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:03 PM

While I did know about the forced surname marks, I'm doubtful they will be of much help. A source type of Ancestry Record means it is a source created from TreeShare. That means manually editing each such Master Source which might raise the TreeShare flag that each one has been changed. It will need a test.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:12 PM

Also, this issue was raised soon after the release of TreeShare. I developed a patch of the Ancestry Record template as a workaround using SQLite at https://sqlitetoolsf...Source-Template

#9 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:49 AM

Going throug the citation table in SQLite and updating SourceID's is to me the only realistic way if you have hundreds of record to update. 

It was also approached here https://sqlitetoolsf...source-records/

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)