• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RogerDruce

RogerDruce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:10 AM

I have a laptop and and a desktop... I also have a 4 tB external hard drive and an account with OneDrive.  Does anyone have experience in centralizing the primary database and data files attached to the database in the cloud that can easily be accessible by a laptop and a desktop without any conflict?  Thank you.

#2 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:19 AM

I quit Onedrive when I realised it would take rarely used files from my hard disk (so only keep them in the cloud) to save me diskspace. Normally if I decide to save it on my hard disk too, it should just stay on my hard disk when synchronising, not just a shortcut.

I never had any conflict with SharePoint: I have my root folders for RM (Data, back up, Multimedia, Gedcom, Reports and SQL queries) that are synchronised on my local hard disks (2 laptops). I do not turnoff my connection when I work in RM (bad practice according to expert users) since I create a backup every time I close RM. The only thing I got from time to time is I can not close RM manually (have to go through task manager), it kind of 'freeze' especially if I live it open over the night. 

My connection is about 100mb/s so sync is completely invisible to my eyes and both my laptop are on SSD, much faster than HDD...I think those two factors are keys to success for 'live synchronisation'. 

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:27 AM

I, too, have abandoned OneDrive and for the same reasons as Kamolga. I think Microsoft has ruined a perfectly good product when it decided not to keep all files in the OneDrive folder at all times on your desktop. And putting that problem aside, OneDrive is not as easy to pause and resume as is Dropbox if you wish to pause the cloud backup while using RM.

I'm a long term, happy, and successful user of Dropbox. The reason for using both OneDrive and Dropbox was redundancy - to have extra copies of my data in two different clouds. I do pause Dropbox when I'm using RM and I resume Dropbox when I'm done with RM. I have never had any data integrity problems with having Dropbox active when I'm using RM as has been reported by other RM users. Rather my reason for pausing is the intense internet traffic that Dropbox generates while using RM. Dropbox makes a complete new copy of my RM database in the cloud each time I do almost anything in RM. Just moving around in RM without updating anybody can update the RM database. Just staying on the same person but going to a new main view can update the RM database.

I actually have three apps on my desktop where I pause Dropbox due to intense network activity. The apps for which I pause Dropbox are RM, GedSite, and Microsoft Visual Studio. I do not pause Dropbox for anything else - such things as reading emails, using Web browsers, editing files with things like Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel or Notepad or Paint or anything like that.

I make note in passing that I obviously have the Dropbox app on both my iPad and my iPhone. On such a mobile device, Dropbox is like OneDrive in it doesn't actually keep all your Dropbox files on the device at all times. For me and I suspect for most Dropbox users the quantity of data in my Dropbox folder vastly exceeds the storage capacity of a mobile device. But all my Dropbox files that I might access on my mobile devices are created on my PC and are only copied to my mobile devices when I actually access them. This sounds superficially similar to the OneDrive situation that I find so objectionable, but in fact is very different. The Dropbox design for keeping files on devices is excellent and the OneDrive design for keeping files on devices is terrible.

I keep my actual RM database in my Dropbox folder. As such, I'm not in compliance with RM's official recommendation not to keep my actual RM database in my Dropbox folder and only to keep my RM backkup files in my Dropbox folder. But I find operating with the backup files to be awkward in a number of respects. You have to remember always to Restore instead of Open (and to restore the correct backup file - not always easy for me to do reliably!) and always to Backup when you Close. And a backup file is not quite identical to the actual database. That's because RM makes some minor changes to the RM database after backing up and before shutting down. For example, it records the last person you were looking at in the database, and it does so after the final backup and before shutting down. So if I am using the option to open RM up to the last person I was looking at, the Restore process will not put me back on that person. This is a minor design bug in RM, but such minor design bugs in RM virtually never get fixed.

Jerry

#4 Less

Less

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

Roger,

Make sure that on all the devices you use OneDrive you have gone into the OneDrive settings and on the Settings tab DE-SELECT the "files on-demand" option. That way, the files will be on your hard drive when you want to use them.

Make sure you pause syncing BEFORE you open RootsMagic. When you pause with OneDrive, you have to choose the number of hours, that's neither good nor bad, just different. For some it's annoying because syncing will restart before they're finished, for others it's great because syncing restarts if you forget to turn it back on again. All of the cloud storage / local sync options have their good and bad aspects.

Less
Houston, TX
desktop: Family Tree Edge -> TMG -> RM

web: Wordpress + TNG + ZenPhoto 

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:15 AM

...  and on the Settings tab DE-SELECT the "files on-demand" option. That way, the files will be on your hard drive when you want to use them.

I have de-selected the "files on-demand" option, and the results seem satisfactory. Therefore I likely will "un-abandon" OneDrive. Thanks for the info.

Jerry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: data files, cloud