6 replies to this topic

#1 PollyH

PollyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

Is there a way to "bulk" add items to the media gallery, i.e. all the photos in a particular folder.

Polly

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

See http://forums.rootsm...hl=+bulk +media

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:23 AM

What's New in RootsMagic 7  
01:03:30 – Drag and Drop Media

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

The drag and drop works fine, but it doesn't link the media to anything in RM. It just gets the files linked into RM as a whole. You still have to do the linking to objects in RM on an image file by image file basis. By "objects in RM', I mean things like people, facts, sources, citations, sources, and places.

If you really think about it, it can't be any other way. RM would have no way to know which objects go with which image files.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:58 PM

If you drag n drop media into a specific Media Album for a person, fact, sources, etc., instead of the Media Gallery it will create the MediaTags.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1504 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:22 PM

If you drag n drop media into a specific Media Album for a person, fact, sources, etc., instead of the Media Gallery it will create the MediaTags.

True enough, but then I still need to go back to each media item to add captions and descriptions. There's just no way to fully automate this process.

My RM7 database currently has 27K multimedia items with 225K links (aka tags). Adding multimedia items to my database has improved my documentation, but I really don't see how it can be automated.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:06 AM

True enough, but then I still need to go back to each media item to add captions and descriptions. There's just no way to fully automate this process.

Nor should you fully automate the process. The media files are the true sources, not RM's Master Sources which are just a part of building proper citations to the true sources. The true sources need to be carefully curated to be applied carefully, and that curation process simply cannot be automated and most of my media files are tagged multiple places.

For the most part, I tag media files to a citation, then Memorize the citation and Paste it is needed. The media file is carried along automatically. But I also tag to the source since I am a source splitter, and I often tag to facts themselves. As a source splitter, I shouldn't need to tag to citations at all. Tagging to sources should be sufficient. But if media is tagged to citations, I like the way media looks in a program called GedSite when I export RM GEDCOM and import it into GedSite. 

I am, however, constantly working on ways to make the linking of media files into RM and tagging them to the correct objects in RM more efficient. 

• There are situations where "Add from file" is most efficient, and for me that's usually the best way to get the media into RM rather than drag and drop. I have a lot of subfolders for my media files. I simply cannot manage thousands of media files in one big folder. I use a free Windows file management program called Agent Ransack to supplement my use of Windows File Explorer, and Agent Ransack will place a copy of the complete file string for a file onto the Windows clipboard. In RM's "Add from file" dialog, I can paste the complete file string into the name of the file to navigate to it instantly.
  • There are times when "Add from Gallery" is the most efficient, especially since it's usually easy for me to have the name of an existing file on the Windows clipboard and RM's "Add from Gallery" supports a search box into which I can paste the file name.
  • There are times when RM's media tagging dialog is most efficient, and there are times when RM's media tagging dialog is least efficient. RM's media tagging dialog sometimes is very good at starting with the person I'm already on, and sometimes it is very poor at this. Many of RM's people selection processes are ALWAYS very poor at this, since they ALWAYS start at the beginning of the list of people. RM's media tagging dialog is therefore refreshing in that is much better at SOMETIMES beginning with the person I'm already on. I do wish the SOMETIMES could become ALWAYS.

Jerry