• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BrianRenaud

BrianRenaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:09 PM

After some Treeshare sessions with Ancestry, and some deleting of inadvertent duplicates, I ended up with a person [Unknown] [Unknown].

No parents, no children.

When I highlight this "person" in the name Index, they show up as a child with no entries for Father or Mother.  If I double click that child, the popup shows no facts.

I don't seem to be able to delete this "person". I've started/stopped RM7 and  run the Database Tools sequence (a few times).

Any suggestions for how I might remove this person entry?

thanks - Brian

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:42 PM

Have you verified that this is an actual record? Make sure that the RIN is displayed by going to Tools > File Options > Number to Display

If there is no RIN, then try this:

Close and re-open RM

File > Database Tools > Rebuild Indexes and Clean Phantom Records

Close and re-open RM

File > Database Tools > Compact Database

If there IS a RIN:

After selecting the [Unknown] [Unknown] record in the side bar menu

Then re-select that record in the main view (Family View would be my preference)

Edit > Delete > Person

#3 BrianRenaud

BrianRenaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:10 PM

If there IS a RIN:

After selecting the [Unknown] [Unknown] record in the side bar menu

Then re-select that record in the main view (Family View would be my preference)

Edit > Delete > Person

Thanks. There is a RIN. I selected in the sidebar, then selected in main (Family) view and chose Edit->Delete->Person. However, nothing appeared to happen. No message, but the entry was still there. I also tried adding the Unknown entry as a child to myself and deleting it, but that also didn't do anything.

Does/can RM do any logging that might clarify what's happening.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:50 PM

Will it let you add a fact to the person or their name? Then see if you can delete them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:49 PM

And definitely run the Database toos to be sure your file has not been corrupted.

#6 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:13 PM

Is it no parents or blank parents?

Try to unlink the child from the non-existent parents and unlink from non-existent spouses

I sometimes find that a phantom child has been created by Treeshare and in order to remove that child I have to unlink them from the parent(s).

#7 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:36 AM

Brian, I had the same issue and had to recreate the database using drag and drop. Here is the original thread:

http://forums.rootsm...the-index-list/

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:35 AM

Drag'n'drop is lossy in undesirable ways. Have a look at this fb discussion for alternatives: https://m.facebook.c...155696234617921

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 BrianRenaud

BrianRenaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:17 PM

Will it let you add a fact to the person or their name? Then see if you can delete them. 

Yes, I can add a fact to the person. But no, it will still not let me delete them. (Or more precisely, I can do the Delete, but nothing appears to happen.)

#10 BrianRenaud

BrianRenaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:20 PM

And definitely run the Database toos to be sure your file has not been corrupted.

Thanks. I started RM, ran through each of the File->Database Tools (all four completed with no problems), exited, again started RM. The Unknown entry was still there and still won't delete.

#11 BrianRenaud

BrianRenaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:27 PM

Drag'n'drop is lossy in undesirable ways. Have a look at this fb discussion for alternatives: https://m.facebook.c...155696234617921

Hmm, link produces a "Content Not Found" page. Maybe because I'm not (yet) a member of the RootsMagic Users FB group?  Or did the link get corrupted in the copy/paste process?

Also, I agree that I'd like to avoid drag and drop replication of the database.  I guess I'll just live with the entry if nothing else works.

#12 BrianRenaud

BrianRenaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:32 PM

Is it no parents or blank parents?

Try to unlink the child from the non-existent parents and unlink from non-existent spouses

I sometimes find that a phantom child has been created by Treeshare and in order to remove that child I have to unlink them from the parent(s).

I believe it's no parents. (In family view, I see the RM light grey "+Click to add father", "+Click to add mother" prompts.

Unlink from Parents runs without a message, but doesn't seem to do anything. Unlink from Spouse produces an error popup "There is no spouse to unlink".

#13 BrianRenaud

BrianRenaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:37 PM

FWIW, right clicking on Unkown entry (as child in family view) and selecting Manual Merge produces error popup "Access violation at address 0138C815 in module 'RoogsMagic.exe'. Read of address 00000000."

I assume this is just some non-defensive [sloppy] programming dereferencing with checking for null pointer, rather than an actually useful fact, but including for completeness.

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:13 PM

The fb link works but only for group members.

One of my suggestions in that discussion was to try the Nameless People - Delete function in my old RMtrix utility at https://sqlitetoolsf...ilities-rmtrix/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 BrianRenaud

BrianRenaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:20 PM

Also, FWIW, [Unknown] doesn't show up in the People view, even though it still shows in the sidebar Name Index.