13 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:39 PM

Suddenly, I am having trouble attaching PDF's to my RM data base. I select "File" and then the file but it will not load in the media field for a person's profile. I've loaded hundreds of these before??

Is anyone else having this issue?

Rick

RickL

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

I have never had RM refuse to link a media file. Probably 99% of my media files are linked as File rather than Image, even if the underlying file is a JPG or PNG. I do have lots of PDF's linked into RM as well.

However, in the cases where I am linking to a person's general record (is that what you are calling a "person's profile", the file I'm linking is always truly an image file (e.g., JPG or PNG) and I link it is Image. That way, the image can print in a narrative report.

Maybe RM won't link a File or a PDF to the person's general record. If that's not it, then I have no explanation.

Jerry 

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

I have never had RM refuse to link a media file. Probably 99% of my media files are linked as File rather than Image, even if the underlying file is a JPG or PNG. I do have lots of PDF's linked into RM as well.

However, in the cases where I am linking to a person's general record (is that what you are calling a "person's profile", the file I'm linking is always truly an image file (e.g., JPG or PNG) and I link it is Image. That way, the image can print in a narrative report.

Maybe RM won't link a File or a PDF to the person's general record. If that's not it, then I have no explanation.

Jerry 

Thanks Jerry,

I'm confused also....I've tried to load it three different ways 1) against the "general record", 2) against and event, and 3) against a source record. In all three cases I have selected "file" instead of "image". I get a red square where the thumbnail should be, but no image. If I try to open it nothing happens. However, the properties show the path to the file, like normal. I also have tried various sample files to see if that makes a difference, but they all reacted the same.

I have hundreds of PDF files loaded to my tree in the past with no problems. Now, I'm not sure if this is an RM problem, a PDF software problem, or a PC problem.

Appreciate the feedback.

Rick

RickL

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

You won't have an option to make the general media the primary photo if it's not added with the Media Type: Image. So PDF can't become the primary photo, or be included in a scrapbook. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:30 PM

Renee,

Yes, I knew this. However, the program is not acting normally. I have tested all sorts of different ways of loading the PDF to events, sources, etc. I also ran all the RM database tools and ran fix on my Adobe program, but nothing has helped. Old PDF's, loaded previously, are still working OK, new ones do not.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:46 PM

I may have missed it, but are you still successful in linking in JPG and PNG files and such into RM?

The red square makes it sound like the path to the file is not correct - like it's a broken link. But you report that the file path actually IS correct and you shouldn't be able to create a broken link from the get go. To get a broken link, you have to create a correct link and subsequently  do something to break it. So it's a great mystery.

Here is an interesting experiment you can try. For any of your "won't open files" that you have just linked in, go to any of the screens in RM where you can see the full file path. The full file path can be copied. Having copied it, open a Windows File Explorer window and paste the entire file path you just copied into the "address box" (I'm not sure what it's officially called) at the top of Windows File Explorer. It should be the case the Windows File Explorer can find the file and can open it. This test should help distinguish between a Windows problem and an RM problem.

Jerry

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

I may have missed it, but are you still successful in linking in JPG and PNG files and such into RM?

The red square makes it sound like the path to the file is not correct - like it's a broken link. But you report that the file path actually IS correct and you shouldn't be able to create a broken link from the get go. To get a broken link, you have to create a correct link and subsequently  do something to break it. So it's a great mystery.

Here is an interesting experiment you can try. For any of your "won't open files" that you have just linked in, go to any of the screens in RM where you can see the full file path. The full file path can be copied. Having copied it, open a Windows File Explorer window and paste the entire file path you just copied into the "address box" (I'm not sure what it's officially called) at the top of Windows File Explorer. It should be the case the Windows File Explorer can find the file and can open it. This test should help distinguish between a Windows problem and an RM problem.

Jerry

Jerry,

Yes, as far as I can tell all other file types are attaching with no problem (jpg etc). I conducted the test you suggested and had the same results in RM, and I was able to go to the link with no problem in Windows.PDF seems to be the only problem. This seems to confirm the problem must be in RM.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:58 PM

Here is one more wild idea, and it's really pretty vague. Somewhere along the way - perhaps with the release of Windows 10 or perhaps with an update to Windows 10 after its initial release - Microsoft made a change in how default programs were assigned to file extensions. This is the feature where, for example, txt files will open in Notepad by default and docx files will open in Microsoft Word by default. - and you can change the default programs to whatever programs you wish.

Previous to the change, when you installed a piece of software the software could easily take over as the default program for any number of file extensions. This was considered a security exposure and Microsoft tightened things up considerably. I don't know chapter and verse of all the details, but sometimes you end up with no program being the default for a file extension- or at least some parts of Windows don't quite know what the proper program is for a particular file extension.

I ran into the problem when I upgraded from Infanview (the 32 bit version) to IrvanView64 (the 64 bit version). This is a program which is excellent at displaying all manner of image files. Subsequent to my upgrade, RM couldn't open JPG files entered as "Files" without me getting a dialog from Windows asking what program to use to open JPG files. In that dialog, I would tell Windows to use Irfanview64 and I would tell Windows  to make Irfanview64 the default, but the problem persisted. During this time, JPG files would open in Irfanview64 just fine if I opened them from outside of RM.

I was never quite sure how I fixed it - I just played with it. But just yesterday I ran into a similar problem with PNG files on my other computer. I apparently fixed it by changing the default program for PNG files to another program and by changing it back. They now open smoothly from RM.

Windows 10 has made it awkward to change the default. Unless I'm missing it, there is no longer a direct way in Windows to change the default. Instead, you have to do it very indirectly using the Open With ... dialog, pick Other, pick your program, and choose the Make this the Default program option. So maybe you could go outside of RM, change the default for PDF to some other program, then change the default for PDF back to your preferred program. Having done so, see if RM can then open PDF files smoothly. I know this sounds wild and I don't have high hopes, but it might work.

I'm sure I have said this before on these forums and these forums don't deserve it, but Microsoft has been doing a lot of dumb stuff lately to Windows. And those dumb things can have an adverse impact on RM.

Jerry

#9 jrueger

jrueger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:45 PM

As for Windows 10 ... you can select the default program for a file extension ... Start, Settings, Apps, Default Apps ... and then at the bottom you will see some choices ...select Choose Default Apps by File Type ... and voila a bizillion file types will appear and you can assign a default program for each file type.

#10 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:36 AM

Here is one more wild idea, and it's really pretty vague. Somewhere along the way - perhaps with the release of Windows 10 or perhaps with an update to Windows 10 after its initial release - Microsoft made a change in how default programs were assigned to file extensions. This is the feature where, for example, txt files will open in Notepad by default and docx files will open in Microsoft Word by default. - and you can change the default programs to whatever programs you wish.

Previous to the change, when you installed a piece of software the software could easily take over as the default program for any number of file extensions. This was considered a security exposure and Microsoft tightened things up considerably. I don't know chapter and verse of all the details, but sometimes you end up with no program being the default for a file extension- or at least some parts of Windows don't quite know what the proper program is for a particular file extension.

I ran into the problem when I upgraded from Infanview (the 32 bit version) to IrvanView64 (the 64 bit version). This is a program which is excellent at displaying all manner of image files. Subsequent to my upgrade, RM couldn't open JPG files entered as "Files" without me getting a dialog from Windows asking what program to use to open JPG files. In that dialog, I would tell Windows to use Irfanview64 and I would tell Windows  to make Irfanview64 the default, but the problem persisted. During this time, JPG files would open in Irfanview64 just fine if I opened them from outside of RM.

I was never quite sure how I fixed it - I just played with it. But just yesterday I ran into a similar problem with PNG files on my other computer. I apparently fixed it by changing the default program for PNG files to another program and by changing it back. They now open smoothly from RM.

Windows 10 has made it awkward to change the default. Unless I'm missing it, there is no longer a direct way in Windows to change the default. Instead, you have to do it very indirectly using the Open With ... dialog, pick Other, pick your program, and choose the Make this the Default program option. So maybe you could go outside of RM, change the default for PDF to some other program, then change the default for PDF back to your preferred program. Having done so, see if RM can then open PDF files smoothly. I know this sounds wild and I don't have high hopes, but it might work.

I'm sure I have said this before on these forums and these forums don't deserve it, but Microsoft has been doing a lot of dumb stuff lately to Windows. And those dumb things can have an adverse impact on RM.

Jerry

Jerry,

This sounds wierd, but I think it is fixed. I tried reassigning the default app for the pdf files, like you suggsted, but it seemed to have no effect. Next, I re-installed my Adobe Viewer. Then I tested with a brand new file, downloaded from Ancestry, converted it from a jpeg to a pdf, and it loaded fine. I also tested reloading an old pdf from my media directory to a different person's record, and it worked fine. So I'm not sure what fixed it, but it seems to be OK now.

Thanks for the help

Rick

RickL

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

My "wild" idea was probably approximately correct but by no means 100% correct. I suspect the linkage between PDF files and Adobe Viewer was partially broken as I approximately described and that the reinstall of Adobe Viewer fully re-established Adobe Viewer as the default app for PDF files. In any case, I'm pleased that it's working again.

Jerry

#12 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:30 AM

My "wild" idea was probably approximately correct but by no means 100% correct. I suspect the linkage between PDF files and Adobe Viewer was partially broken as I approximately described and that the reinstall of Adobe Viewer fully re-established Adobe Viewer as the default app for PDF files. In any case, I'm pleased that it's working again.

Jerry

Jerry,

Your post reminded me that there was a Windows 10 update a few days ago and that was when this problem popped up. I just thought that maybe there was a connection and, since the problem was with PDF's, that a reinstall of Adobe might help. Guess it did.

Thanks again for the hints.

Rick

RickL

#13 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:18 AM

I had the last Win 10 update a few days ago and no issue in attaching pdf's in source (media tab) or directly event (picture next to source)….but had an Adobe update at about the same time.

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#14 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

I had the last Win 10 update a few days ago and no issue in attaching pdf's in source (media tab) or directly event (picture next to source)….but had an Adobe update at about the same time.

Just to confirm - reloading the Windows 10 update, and reinstalling Adobe Viewer, seems to have corrected the issue with PDF's not attaching to RM7.

Thanks

Rick

RickL