4 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:03 PM

I've been working a lot lately with tagging media items, which leads inevitably to the occasional need to untag a media item. Unless I'm missing something obvious, doing an untag is much more difficult and is much more error prone than was tagging the media item in the first place.

The situation I'm describing is a total non-issue if a media item is only tagged one place. Under this circumstance, untagging is easy, it's not error prone, and it just works. On the other hand, if a media item is tagged many, many different times then untagging becomes almost an impossible chore. Here's the problem. Suppose you are in a sub-screen of the Edit Person screen and suppose you see a media item for a person or for a fact or for a source or for a citation that you wish to untag. So you click on the media item which brings up all the media tags for that item. Suppose you then click on untag. You would think that would untag the media file from the person or fact or source or citation that you used bring up the list of all media tags. But no, it typically untags some other media tag. In fact, it appears to delete the first tag in the list.

The proper procedure on the part of the user instead is to navigate through the entire list of media tags for that media items and find the one to be untagged. Only then should the user click untag. But if there are dozens of tags, the proper tag can be very difficult to find and more importantly, I have already in some sense clicked clicked on the "right" tag in the process of bringing up the list. I shouldn't have to spend a lot of time finding the "right" tag again.

The problem I'm describing really is only for media items with a lot of media tags. Examples where this might typically happen would be a comprehensive obituary that mentions a lot of people, a family bible page that lists a large number of people, or a page from a compiled family history that lists a lot of people.

And the worst thing is that if I fall into this trap in the RM user interface and make the mistake of deleting the wrong media tag, it's essentially impossible to discover which one I deleted so I can put it back.

If I am misunderstanding this situation, I would be pleased to stand corrected. But otherwise, I hope this whole situation might be improved in RM8 or some subsequent release.

Jerry

#2 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:27 AM

I wish there were a bit more of 'set focus' when entering lists in RM7, preselecting the tag that is used in this instance is a good example, the source that is mostly used with this fact type another (or filtering the sources that have been used with those facts), etc.

Even worse is the focus with the search in media gallery: when you open the gallery, 'enter' would cancel it since nothing has been selected...not ideal but so far so good. Unfortunately if you type anything in the search area, it will focus on the first media in the gallery and 'select', so that if you press 'enter' at the end of your search to 'launch it' (instead of clicking the magnifying glass, because 'enter' works for all Windows, Google, Help, Excel, etc. searches/filters),you will add this first media (I add this photo of Adrienne, first in the list, a few times a week) instead of filtering your list. When typing anything in search, RM should put 'enter action' on the magnifying glass, not selection of the media.

More importantly, it would be so easier for me if the media focus was set on last imported or used media (and 'select' eventually) when entering the gallery, which is usually the one I am looking for (I guess 98-99% of my searches, do not know for other users) so I could select it without searching. That is normally a common feature in most forms/pop up windows coding.

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:23 AM

I wish there were a bit more of 'set focus' when entering lists in RM7,

Yes, that would solve my untagging problem.

The failure to "set focus" that drives me that craziest (well, before I ran into it with the untagging problem) is the marking dialog, for example when making groups. I often want to make a group of ancestors or descendants of the person who is currently highlighted in one of the main RM views. But going into the marking dialog completely loses the focus person and I have to reposition all over again to the focus person I was already on before I'm able to complete the marking of ancestors or descendants.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8477 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:17 AM

The failure to "set focus" that drives me that craziest (well, before I ran into it with the untagging problem) is the marking dialog

Yes this one is the worse, I kept on falling in the trap again and again. I now make an empty group (or a random person) and use SQL to empty it and put the people in it (refreshing the content).

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)