• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AstroGuy

AstroGuy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:27 PM

It does not appear that I can apply a source citation to "Place Note," "Place Media," "Place Detail Note," or "Place Detail Media."  I like to add descriptions and photos of the relevant places, but really do want to give credit to the source.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:17 PM

That is correct. Best you can do is to include it in the Note or the Media Caption or Description.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:34 PM

I have a developed a multi-step process for documenting Place List - Sources and Citations. Maybe this image will present my ideas. Ask, please, if you'd like any clarifications.

rm7-documenting-place-source-info.png

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:28 AM

I have a developed a multi-step process for documenting Place List - Sources and Citations. Maybe this image will present my ideas. Ask, please, if you'd like any clarifications.

This woke me from my hibernation, as I work a similar system but continue to tweak it to my needs, Ireland has over 64,000 Townlands, contained within ~2400 civil parishes, contained within ~331 Baronies contained within 32 Counties contained within 4 provinces. The lovely thing and probably the basis of location obsession and geo co-ordinates stems from the fact that these Townland Boundaries have mostly remained unchanged for many hundreds of years pre dating the Norman invasion so a very reliable geographical indicator of family ties.

I maintain an Excel workbook which contains all these townlands, parishes, baronies and the geocoding of the centre points, it’s like my personal Irish Gazetteer. Now geocoding a large land mass is of diminishing value but a small Townland may only be a few acres in size so very specific.

Anyway back to the subject, I like the way zhangrau has compiled this information, my present system does not cater for dates so perhaps some tweaks are possible. My information has been scripted into Rootsmagic again using dummy people and a dummy fact, in my index the entries appear as z-County,Parish name with all the Churches and Townlands of that Parish appearing as Place Details within the Parish. The image below is an old image before the inclusion of the County Name but shows what I get in Rootsmagic mapping when I highlight a parish;

mapping-parish.png

Sourcing of Place and Place Details cannot be supported by the gedcom standard hence the best AstroGuy can do is to add credit and source information to the Notes where there is no restrictive limit. I do this as I discover history of Churches and Places which often helps excluding a Church from consideration when the event pre dates the Church existence, another old stock photo below;

place-details-inset.png

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3570 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:16 AM

There are really some intriguing ideas in this thread.

I have found lots of useful things to do with dummy people and dummy facts through the years, but place information has not been one of them (so far!). Of course, you have to be careful to keep the dummy people and dummy facts out of narrative type reports and out of web sites where you load people for public viewing. But they are a great idea in general.

Jerry

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:49 AM

I want to thank zhangrau for the earlier post, after consideration I am now making use of the Date field in what I term my personal Gazetteer.

Within the context of the Parish, which I use as the Place component, I can now see the dates certain important Details came into being and possibly ceased function which is very useful to my research. Once researched I now add the dates for the creation of Churches, Cemeteries, Schools, Hospitals, Workhouse etc and at a glance it is immediately apparent where records for further research may or may not exist without additional lookups. Once fully researched the details within any Parish I am working are Noted, Geocoded, Dated and have an image or historical map excerpt added and now stand alone as an improved reference due to this idea.

Those who know me well will know I strive for constant improvement so note this as a case of me taking my own medicine :D

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root