Photo

Can I get a report on which individuals have WebHints from FindMyPast?

FindMyPast WebHints

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gallde

gallde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:08 PM

I've been keeping a costly FindMyPast Essential Scottish and Irish subscription in order to use their WebHints, but I don't think there are very many individuals remaining in my data that have them. Is there a way to get a listing of which individuals in my database have WebHints from FindMyPast, or am I relagated to painstakingly opening the "lightbulb" on every person that might?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3529 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:39 PM

RM cannot report on WebHints from any of its four database providers. The reason is that the data is not kept in RM's database. Rather, when RM displays a person on the screen, RM sends a query right then to the appropriate database provider. The provider responds to RM (or not!) with any hint information the provider has about that person and RM shows any information it gets back as a WebHint. In other words, RM doesn't have any of the hint information. All the hint information is on servers at the providers' web sites.

Indeed, you can see a hint on the screen, go off that screen to another screen, and return to the original screen. The original hints may or may not appear right away, simply because the servers may be running more sluggishly at that time than they were a few minutes before.

Jerry

#3 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:41 AM

I was under the impression you can still get hints with just the 'free account' so you could perhaps 'pay per view' for the odd hint if that is cheaper? however I have not tested this!

Notes on the free account - https://www.findmypa...st-subscription

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3529 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:50 AM

.... , or am I relegated to painstakingly opening the "lightbulb" on every person that might?

I hope my original reply made it clear that yes, you are so relegated. And sometimes you can go to a person and the light bulb will appear very quickly, and sometimes you can to the same person and the same light bulb will appear very slowly or not at all, depending on what's happening on the Internet and on what's happening on the servers at the site which supports the hint data.

Jerry