• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wllmbltn

wllmbltn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:03 AM

New user here and wondering if I am doing something wrong.

Almost all my entries are showing a yellow light bulb with various numbers of "Pending" tips. When I click on the "Pending' number, the full list of Ancestry tips shows up, but all are either Accepted or Rejected. None are Undecided. Also, the total shown is not correct. For example, one record shows a total of 17 tips, but when I open the box to review them there are only 15. The 2 "Pending" hints are nowhere to be found.

Web Hints is a great feature, but if it does not work correctly it becomes useless. I would hate to turn off this feature, but I will need to do that unless someone can suggest how to fix this.

Thanks.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:05 AM

Just to clarify, which WebHints do you have enabled? RM supports WebHints for ancestry.com, familysearch.org, myheritage.com, and findmypast.com.

If all are enabled, I would start to diagnose the problem by turning off all of them except for ancestry.com. Then I would log on to ancestry.com, look at my tree in ancestry.com that is linked up to RM via TreeShare, and see what hints are there. It should be the same hints I would see going into ancestry.com from RM, but I would want to be sure. In any case, I would try to identify which hints are the same in all places and which hints are different. That would be a good clue as to what is going on.

That doesn't really answer your question, but that's the place to start. I found found the counts for my ancestry.com WebHints in RM to be quite reliable. It's hard to guess what the problem might be in this case. Sometimes you need to move to a different screen in RM, then move back to the screen where you were, to allow time for the hints in RM to be matched up with the hints in ancestry.com (or shut down RM and start it up again, but that's kind of overkill).

Jerry

#3 wllmbltn

wllmbltn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:41 AM

I had turned off everything except Ancestry and was still seeing the phantom "Pending" hints.

In the WebHint options for Ancestry, I turned off everything except "record" hints and the Pendings went away. I turned everything back on one at a time and found that selecting "other member tree" hints caused the problem to return. I don't really care about that category, so it is turned off and things are working as expected now.

Thanks!

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:45 AM

In the WebHint options for Ancestry, I turned off everything except "record" hints and the Pendings went away. 

I had forgotten that the sub-types of Ancestry hints could be turned on and off individually, and I think I posted previously that they couldn't be turned off individually. Good catch. (The ancestry hints sub-type turn on and off is on a slightly screen than the overall ancestry hints turn on and off). I'm pleased that it's meeting your needs now.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:01 PM

Interesting that you're seeing an issue with hinting from Member Trees. Makes we wonder if there is a connection to the TruLines they released, but is not available in the Ancestry API. Is the tree you are seeing issues with the WebHints being used with TruLines or your DNA profile?

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 wllmbltn

wllmbltn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

No DNA profile (yet), just a plain old Ancestry database. 

#7 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 08:13 PM

Hi Renee and everyone,

This problem is still here, or has reared its head again.

I have come across two cases recently (both females - my wife's former husband's two grandmothers in the late 19th century to early 20th century) in which two phantom pending hints are from other member trees as identified by wllmbltn last year.  Ancestry does have DNA profiles for both of us but we haven't used ThruLines.

It isn't a big problem but thought you would be interested in further feedback.

Stay sane.

Robert

#8 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:26 PM

Hi Renee and everyone

Yes, I am finding that problem has appeared again.

I do not quite understand your sentence "Is the tree you are seeing issues with the WebHints being used with TruLines or your DNA profile?". Ancestry hints appear on the Ancestry tree and the Ancestry individual record page. They do not appear on the Thrulines or DNA profile page.

By the way, do not forget that Ancestry are rolling out being able to connect DNA matches to individuals on your Ancestry tree. This is in addition to various tags that can be used for an individual, some of which are used to indicate DNA connections of various types. Plus you can create your own tags to use on your tree. Obviously none of this is available on RM presumably because Ancestry has not released it through their API.

In the past I found that deleting the Ancestry individual and then TreeSharing it back to Ancestry cleared it but now I find that makes no difference.

Soon after Ancestry TreeShare was introduced I found that the hinting was only any good if it was used as an indicator. It worked best if I then went to the Ancestry website and viewed the hint there (rejecting or accepting as appropriate) then to Treeshare the individual to update RM. It is, however, still useful because I can then look for the yellow flags in RM using descendant view (and family and pedigree views).

It would be nice if the yellow hint indicator could be extended to show on the people view even if it was just for those visible on the screen. It would be even better if there was some way to filter for their presence. However, I fully understand that RM has to query each record for hints and Ancestry would not take kindly for users, such as myself, querying 20,000 records every few minutes.

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:32 PM

It would be nice if the yellow hint indicator could be extended to show on the people view even if it was just for those visible on the screen. It would be even better if there was some way to filter for their presence. However, I fully understand that RM has to query each record for hints and Ancestry would not take kindly for users, such as myself, querying 20,000 records every few minutes.

I also hugely desire this feature for WebHints. I do understand that such hints would have to be restricted to just the people on the screen or else filtered in some sort of reasonable way. But for example, if I filter People View to a group of a dozen or so people, then WebHints in People View would be great.

And by the way and I don't know how many other users have noticed, but WebHints can cause a large Descendants View screen to be very slow to display. I think this needs some work to limit the WebHints just to the portion of Descendants View that's actually on the screen.

Jerry