8 replies to this topic

#1 russhart

russhart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

I have just noticed that there is a discrepancy between the number of People in my RM database to that showing on Ancestry (a difference of 3), but when I run Treeshare, the missing persons are not listed.

How can this happen and how can I fix this?

Russell

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:54 PM

No ready answer. Have you run the RM database tools from top to bottom, especially including Delete Phantoms?

If that fails as a remedy, you might try the People - Delete Nameless function in my old RMtrix utility https://sqlitetoolsf...ilities-rmtrix/

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 russhart

russhart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:23 PM

Yes I had run all the database tool functions and now the sqlite tools as per your suggestion, however the issue remains.

#4 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:21 AM

Where are the 3 extras? If in Ancestry, it could be that Ancestry needs to add a person to certain situation: I had it somewhere for the grand children of my uncle I think, who had to be adopted by another member of the family after the death of their mother in a fire -> they were duplicated since they could not have 4 parents. 

Some partners like myheritage also need to add 'empty people' to all unknown parents (if I export RM to Gedcom, import it in Myheritage and export gedcom from Myheritage to RM back, I get a few hundreds extra people, without names). I guess Ancestry might face similar needs in some cases.

If 3 extras in RM, maybe you have 3 people in a separate tree (tools count Trees) -> I am not sure Ancestry would include them if he can not find a relationship with an existing person.

I personally export a gedcom from RM and import it to Ancestry, I find the process much quicker than validating each changes

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:33 PM

Yes I had run all the database tool functions and now the sqlite tools as per your suggestion, however the issue remains.

Perhaps the RM database has 3 duplicate people? I suspect there can be only one link between an Ancestry person and a RM person but am baffled if the duplicate RM person does not appear as unmatched. Anyway, I suggest trying the Duplicate Search.

Another possibility is false reporting on the Ancestry side. Maybe another test would be to GEDCOM from Ancestry into a new RM database and examine its properties and compare the GEDCOMed database to the TreeShared database using File Compare or maybe just a sorted list of names.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 russhart

russhart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:39 PM

Only one tree and no idea where the 3 extra persons in RM are. Trying to find then is the issue and also why doesn't TreeShare capture this?

Ran Duplicate search and none were found. Might try the GEDCOM download suggestion of yours Tom and see what it comes up with. What will Compare Files show me? Could also be an Ancestry issue. I wish they had some tools to be able to make some simple corrections or comparisons?

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:56 AM

File Compare uses Dup Search algorithms to pair up possible matches between two databases. It will likely be more confusing than helpful which is why I suggested generating identically sorted lists of names from each and visually comparing them if File Properties shows a discrepancy. Saving the list reports to Text and bringing them into a spreadsheet would help find discrepancy.

#8 russhart

russhart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:42 PM

Thanks Tom, that has worked. I found the 3 extra's were duplicates which RM failed to find when I ran a Duplicate Search.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:19 AM

That was a lucky guess for me but it does raise a question that there is a bug or, at least, a shortcoming in the TreeShare process if two people records in RM are allowed to be paired with the same person record in the Ancestry Tree. I have not proven that is the case here but it smells like it. I may try to create a test case with SQLite when the opportunity arises.