A simple extract of a wedding in Belgium (so Record #123456 of National Archive - Marriage let's say, National Archive - Marriage being the master source), would be copied in husband (person) sources, his family (he makes with new wife) sources, his parents sources (since they are on it and it proves he is their son), his birth event sources (also on it), his marriage event sources (that they share), wife sources, her parents sources, her birth event sources...and sometimes you have witnesses, often occupations and residencies of the spouses and their parents. Creating a source each time is counter productive isn't it? I always type exactly what is written on the source and have a complex referencing to see what is in without having to 2x click the sources.
Still I do not understand why if I change #123456 to #123457, it will update everywhere but if I add a media it does not.
I think I could make a list of citations using medialinks in SQLite and from there add the medialink to anything using a citation but this is quite complicated because of the types (easy for events but I do not know how exactly it is set up for person and family sources, would need to run dummy queries to find out) and amount of tables concerned. I plan to add quite a lot medias to citations so might be worth the headache.
My first project will be to copy all the MediaPath from MultimediaTable (like C:\...\RootsMagic\Multimedia\...) to excel and run a macro to list all the files (in all subfolders) from the map and compare...I think I have a few files in there I forgot to link in RM. I could also identify broken links ad fix them.
I have been trying to keep master sources small, so I do not have to search...and for future analysis as well since I do not want to select 25 master sources to know who already as a birth certificate. I could have a master source per location where Birth certificate was made (each postal code basically) but my input is referenced in a manner that I can identify which certificates have been made in Antwerp district for example, so that if I go to Antwerp I can print a list of all the references (e.g. #123456, book 3, page 45 from VillageA) I would like to copy (so more than 100 years old in our legislation) thanks to SQL. So I found a way to keep master sources small thanks to research notes and SQL to filter from that field.
As a result I just type the first letters and find my master source but if I had been coding such a software, when you add a source to a birth event, you would have the most used master source for birth events preselected in the limited list of all the master sources you have already used in birth events (that is how I code my userforms in VBA or Access, I guess there should be a way to achieve this in their language). I would then add a "All master sources" button if you need to select one you have already used in another event type (the list as we see it today). A way for the user to create categories is an other good option...anyway going through the list as we have today is not up to their standards regarding data entry.