9 replies to this topic

#1 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:56 AM

I imported a GEDCOM file from Family Tree Maker that has over 56,000 media files. However most of the links were not attached to the people in the database. I have been trying for the last 2 days to repair the missing links. The program starts the re-linking process but the progress bar never gets past about 50% and I can not get any response from RM. I cannot cancel the linking process window but have to kill the program using taskmgr and then re-start RM and the linking process all over again. How long should the re-linking take? To me this seems to be an inordinate amount of time to re-link the media.

Sandie

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:11 AM

It may not be too long for 56,000 files.

Here are a couple of possibilities. One possibility is that with Fix Media Links, you can limit RM to look only in a folder and its subfolders where the files are likely to be located. This could speed things up enormously, vs. RM looking at your whole hard disk.

The other possibility is that the pattern of where the files really are vs. where RM thinks they are might be such that you can do the repair yourself with Search>Search and Replace>Multimedia files names. You wouldn't be replacing whole file names on a file by file basis. That would take forever with 56,000 files. Instead, you would only be replacing a portion of the file path - the folders and subfolders above where the files are actually located. If you can figure out a pattern of where the files really are vs. where RM thinks they are, this could possibly fix the problem in only a few seconds. If you try this approach, I would find one file in RM whose link was broken and find the same file where it really is on your hard disk. This should provide you with a clue as to how to proceed to repair all the broken links.

Jerry

#3 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:21 AM

Jerry, I ended up using an SQL Update query to replace the missing Media Path with the required information. Luckily, all media is in a single folder. It only took a couple of seconds to update over 4,800 entries. A lot quicker than using RM to fix the issues.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:57 AM

Jerry, I ended up using an SQL Update query to replace the missing Media Path with the required information. Luckily, all media is in a single folder. It only took a couple of seconds to update over 4,800 entries. A lot quicker than using RM to fix the issues.

Using SQLite is fine for this.  But in this case you could actually have done it from with the RM user interface and it's just as fast as doing it with SQLite - a couple of seconds. The process is Search>Search and Replace>Multimedia filenames.

The trick is to realize that when RM says "Multimedia filenames" in this case, it really means "full multimedia file paths, including all subfolders and the file names itself". So you don't actually specify any "file names" to change, you only specify "file paths" to change. The same concept is true under Lists>Media gallery. Within the Media gallery, you can search for "filenames" but you can really search for anything that's anywhere in the file path - including one or more subfolder names.

Having said that, the "find and replace" for file names and file paths in RM is pretty rigid - no Boolean logic, etc. So it doesn't take much to run into a "find and replace"  for file names and file paths that you can't do in RM but which is extremely easy to do with SQLite.

One of RM's major competitors offers a Plugin facility where users can write code that runs from within the product's main user interface. I think it would be quite delightful if RM supported SQLite queries as plugins to the main RM user interface. It would solve just so many problems. Not everybody would be able to write such plugins, but most users should be able to run them.

Jerry

#5 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:06 AM

I think it would be quite delightful if RM supported SQLite queries as plugins to the main RM user interface. It would solve just so many problems.

Jerry

Amen, brother.

#6 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:50 AM

Plug-ins would be win-win with RM:

it is like having free extra developers and their customers might be more faithful if we offer them more opportunities to work on the entire database.

For customers it is like having personal specific solutions without having to go through the SQLite software choice and download, rmnocase issue and finally launch queries that they don't understand and that fail every time they try to adapt (I have been there). 

The RM SQL community is quite small now because of those barriers and opportunities completely underused. It would be so nicer if when someone starts a discussion or something (s)he would like to have in RM X, we could write them a plugin that does it right away and they could relaunch any time they want. 

For my part, I would love to make my plugins to refresh my groups. For example I realised I wanted to colour the children who died before they could marry (and have children, which I set up at 18 but I can change it) after I had been wasting my time on 10th of websites looking for their spouses. And weeks later I would re-try to find a spouse! In family view, I should see a red triangle (=spouse) next to each children or (s)he should be coloured and no research needed. It is also easier to exclude on the spot when I want to add someone with same name. So I use SQL to identify them and update the group 'ChildDeath' that I can colour. Using a plugin would be quicker than opening the database in SQLite, finding the query, execute it and colour the group in RM...nearly every time I add a couple before 1925 with all their children. 

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#7 Roamrose

Roamrose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:39 AM

I store media files in an external disk drive.  Now I am trying to link them.  Apparently Roots Magic doesn't recognize external disk drives.  Any hints?

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:07 PM

RM can link to files on any drive that the operating system presents as X: where X is any one letter of the alphabet.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:38 AM

RM can link to files on any drive that the operating system presents as X: where X is any one letter of the alphabet.

Adding to TomH's info:

When external devices are disconnected/reconnected or multiple devices are added to computer ports... there is the potential for X: to become Y: or Z: or D: or E: upon reconnection/adding, due to Window's device enumeration and drive letter assignment. RM will only know and remember the original drive letter designated path.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:29 AM

In what way to you consider RM unable to recognize your external disk drive? Are you getting an error message?  Are you not able to see the drive letter?  Is media already linked appearing with broken media links?

Renee
RootsMagic