Photo

Can I install RM7 on a 2nd computer in my home?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GeoHarry

GeoHarry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:47 AM

After many years with Family Origins, several years ago I upgraded to RootsMagic 7, installed it on my computer, and transferred all my data to the new program.  I do all my work on a 4-yr-old HP desktop computer, but I also have an HP laptop that I only use to read the morning paper at the breakfast table.

My question is, may I also install RootsMagic 7 on the laptop, using the same CD that I used for the desktop?  If so, I assume I could then copy all data from the desktop  to the laptop to make them essentially clones of each other, making current database information available for reference at either computer.  My databases are now pretty complete, but if additional information is found or small changes are made, I realize I would have to perform that work separately on each machine, but that need is expected to be quite infrequent.  (I doubt there is any way to synch the databases so that changes to one would automatically be duplicated on the other.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise me on this.

GeoHarry

gha32@comcast.net

#2 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:24 AM

Hi,

My database is in the cloud (sharepoint/Kablan Corporate Sales/Personal Documents). If you put your files in dropbox or onedrive for example (https://ibb.co/Fqd11PH), the folder would be downloaded on each computer as well, the main database file (.rmgc) synchronising after each session without you doing anything (as long as internet connection of course).

Most of all, you lose no data if your computer crash or need to reset or change it.

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#3 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:03 AM

Yes, the license if for a household and can be installed on any number of computer so long as only one is in use at a time.

I would suggest that your download the latest version from the Rootsmagic web site, 

http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/

Since it contains all the updates issued since  your CD was created.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:50 AM

Be cautious and careful about exactly how you copy your data between your computers. It's not rocket science to do so. There are many, many different ways to do so. And lots of people do so. But it's possible if you are not cautious and careful to shoot yourself in the foot.

For example, Dropbox or other similar cloud service is a common way to do so. With such services, your do not process your data "in the cloud". That won't really work anyway. RM has to be processing the data on a local disk. What such services to instead is to use the cloud to sync the data between multiple computers. The caution is that any such syncing should be paused while you are working in RM and should be resumed when you shut down RM. And if you switch between your computers, be sure the syncing process has completed before moving from one computer to another. Common syncing services in addition to Dropbox are Google Drive, OneDrive, iDrive, etc.

Another common method is to copy your RM database from your first computer to a USB thumb drive, then copy the USB thumbdrive to the second computer, and then vice versa in the other direct. It's a very plain and simple procedure, but you still have to be very careful to complete all the required steps and to complete them in the correct order.

There are lots of other ways including home networks where the machines share each other's hard disks or including removable hard disks. There are many good solutions. But they all have in common that you have to be very careful. There is nothing really available that does something like lock out the second computer while you are using the first computer (and vice versa) and that assures that the syncing is complete before you switch from one computer to the other. I find that using Dropbox, pausing and resuming as required, and manually assuring that Dropbox syncing has completed works best for me. But your mileage may vary.

Jerry

#5 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

I have the master database on my desktop.  Once in a blue moon, I make a backup on a USB memory stick.

Then I do a restore on one or another laptops.  As long as I NEVER make updates on the laptops, there is no possibility of conflicts.

Of course the laptop might not had the most current data using this procedure.

Normal backups on the desktop go to a physically different drive than the one where the database resides.  

NOTE that different letter named partitions on one physical drive do not guard against a disk head crash or other failure.

#6 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:10 AM

If your station computer is in the house connected to the same wifi than your laptop, it might be easier to simply share wirelessly the screen of the station to the laptop. You will work directly on your station from your laptop basically. It is very easy to set up on Windows 10 (I am not sure for previous versions) :click on the small rectangle at bottom right of the screen (right to the date/hour) , then 'project' (of the screen) and then 'connect to wireless display'. 

You can then work on laptop as duplicate screen when you are in another room and switch to extend when at station (to have two screens, which is much easier for copy-pasting from internet sources). 

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#7 Elynn

Elynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:36 PM

I have RM installed on my home desktop computer.  I have RM toGo installed on a USb drive, which I am then able to use on husbands computer, my laptop or my work computer.  All I need to do is do the RM ToGo update process when I have made updates to get them to my main computer.  I also do a backup on the USB drive, so I could also use the backup to do a restore on my main computer.