4 replies to this topic

#1 Calharkins

Calharkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

Hello,

I am new to RootsMagic.  I am trying to do a narative report and am having problem with the default sentencing on census reports.  I want to strip the heading of the variable so the senence makes sense. I bolded and underlined some of the problems.   Help would be greatly appreciated.

He lived Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Head in Sabine, Louisiana, USA in 1910.3,6 He lived Relation to Head: Head; Residence Marital Status: Married in Police Jury Ward 9, Sabine, Louisiana, USA in 1920.7 George lived Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head: Head in Police Jury Ward 9, Sabine, Louisiana, USA in 1930.5 He lived in Sh, Sabine, Louisiana in 1935.8 He lived Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head: Head in Ward 9 Police Jury, Sabine, Louisiana, USA in 1940.8

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

All of those headings are in the Description field for the event. The only way to get rid of them using RM is to edit each event.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:05 PM

An alternative approach would be to customise the default sentence to work better with the content of the Description field. This looks like a Residence fact type created by Ancestry from a Census. If all your Residence facts are like that, then a default sentence along the lines of:
The 1940 Census reported...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:29 AM

Several years ago about 2005 several of us shared our sentences for the census records, these are mine, but Laura, Jerry and others have quite a few different ones out there also. 

My census records all have the Description field activated. 

for Census (fam)  this my sentence:

[couple] appeared  as age <[Desc]> in the census< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Comes out as "Miles Smith and Isabelle BELT appeared as age 40 and she age 30, he Justice of Peace, in the census on 20 Aug 1850 in Newport, Campbell Co., KY"

Desc has "40 and she age 30, he Justice of Peace," 

Date is the date on the top of the census record sheet the page the persons are on.  

My sentence for Census is  for head of household and no spouse

The <[date:plain]> census record says, <[person:first]> is listed as head of  household <[person]> age <[desc]><[placeDetails]>,< [place]>.

says: The 30 August 1860 census record says, Miles is listed as the head of household, he age 49 as the census taker, in Newport, Campbell County, KY.  underline is in the Desc   .

If a child: The <[date:plain]> census record says, <[Person:Causal]>, <[desc]> was enumerated <[PlaceDetails]>< [place]> in the household of <[Person:HisHer]> parents.

says "The 1 June 1880 census record says, Miles Smith, age 9 was enumerated in California, Campbell Co., KY in the household of his parents."

I used the F1 or help file on how to do sentences to get them to work right.

I also use the Desc field for many other facts also.  Good place to add extra information that works well in the Narrative Reports.  

Enjoy!!!

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:15 PM

If I understand what you want to do, as close as I could get is to create a custom role for each type of relationship: wife, child, grandchild, etc. Then create sentence templates that would read like, "In 1880 he was enumerated in the census as a child of John Smith in West Podunk, Iowa."