• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:29 PM

Some years ago, one of our sons married an Indonesian girl and I now have a paper version of her extensive family tree which contains a number of different name presentations.

As stated in Wikipedia:

"In general, Indonesian names fall into one of the following categories:

A single name, such as Sukarno and Suharto

Two (or more) names without a family name, such as Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono

Two (or more) names with a family/clan name such as Abdul Haris Nasution or Mahyadi Panggabean

Two (or more) names with a patronymic, such as Megawati Sukarnoputri or Abdurrahman Wahid".

This is complicated by the practice of only printing family/clan names in upper case.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might manage to record this branch of our RootsMagic tree?

Thanks

Robert

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:40 AM

Neither RM nor genealogy writ large has a good solution to this problem. The given name and surname model fails badly for many cultures, not just Indonesian.

That being said, about the best you an do is probably to enter single names and two or more names without a family name into the given name field, leaving the surname blank. Where the family/clan name or the patronymic name name exists, I would enter them into the surname field. If I understand you correctly, I would enter the family/clan name in UPPER case and I would enter the patronymic name in Mixed case.

For reports to come out right, this sort of assumes that you normally enter surnames in Mixed case, and that you normally do not use RM's option to print surnames in UPPER case in reports.

There may be better ideas, but that's all I can think of.

Jerry

#3 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

Jerry is right, most (if not all) major genealogy programs are targeted toward the single surname custom, which leaves out most of Latin America, Portuguese, Spanish, Native American and Indonesian customs. They are also leaving out a large group of historical customs where individuals have no surname at all or where the surname adds gender based endings to a root name. Some software can’t even do Surname first order.

In modern times many of these cultures have taken “Westernized” names for business purposes, but I would record the multiple surname individuals with each of their surnames entered in the surname field in correct order. This way a report will lend a little dignity to their full name. For indexing you can add an aka name using any Westernized names they may have taken.

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:10 PM

I've known Indonesians with a single name, European style names, Japanese style names, all sorts of permutations. You'll just have to work it out the best way you can. I don't think there's a "best practice" for this.

#5 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:31 PM

Thanks Jerry and KFN for the thoughts, I was afraid of this, and your suggestions.

II have used the RootsMagic option to print surnames in uppercase.  However I only have a database of around 1,000 people so will consider changing the surnames manually as part of my deliberations.

Cheers

Robert