• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tagould

tagould

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:52 AM

Rootsmagic seems to be slowing down, to the point that I'm waiting 15-30 seconds for it to update a residence (or any other fact) before I can actively click on another person in the tree.  Any ideas on the cause?

- I have run all database tools,

- checked windows defender for recent changes,

- ran all my antivirus and malware programs

There must be something I'm forgetting

cheers

Tracey

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:09 AM

Did you try restarting your computer yet? Do you have Windows 10? 

~ Debbie

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:03 PM

I had that issue when my hard drive was failing. I also had it when a browser app from the bank cause all sorts of issue on my computer, making me think my hard drive was failing. Check that you don't have more than on antivirus and firewall running. I've seen Windows Defender turn on after a Windows update when other security software was already installed. They will fit against each other and slow the computer down. Also make sure the database file is not inside of any folder being synced to the cloud, like Dropbox, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, etc. while live editing it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 tagould

tagould

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:40 AM

I have checked all suggestions.  My DB is not syncing to any cloud device, checked that defender has not altered any settings.  

I've been using RM for a few years now, and just recently started seeing this issue.  The rest of my computer is not lagging in any way, only RM is losing responsiveness.

RM is the first thing I open each morning, so this is happening in RM from a fresh computer boot and it's instantaneous.  

Only one antivirus installed.  

I am on Windows 10, but RM has been functioning just fine on it until recently.

#5 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:21 PM

Are your virus definitions current?   Have you run an anti-malware program? 

#6 tagould

tagould

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:00 AM

Are your virus definitions current?   Have you run an anti-malware program? 

Yes and yes.  

I think I'll uninstall and reinstall, see how that goes

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3594 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:42 AM

This is a puzzling problem. The only other things I can think of would be to defrag your hard disk, and to run hardware diagnostics on it to see if it is beginning to fail.

Jerry

#8 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:48 AM

The load on the CPU is sometimes very high when the computer is just booting up and for a few moments afterward. does the slowdown occur after the machine is up for a while as well as when you're just starting?

The Windows task manager can show you the percentages of CPU times that are used by each of the running processes.

#9 tagould

tagould

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:40 PM

The load on the CPU is sometimes very high when the computer is just booting up and for a few moments afterward. does the slowdown occur after the machine is up for a while as well as when you're just starting?

The Windows task manager can show you the percentages of CPU times that are used by each of the running processes.

Yes, it occurs even if I boot the computer in the morning and don't get to it (due to household duties) until mid morning.  

I did notice today, when I ran DB tools that it was unable to compact the DB as an SQL script was already running?  Odd as it was the first thing I did when I opened the program.  It required me to end task and shut down RM.  On re-opening RM, I ran the DB tools again, and was able to compact the DB.  Just a glitch?  Haven't ever had that happen before

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:39 AM

I have a sizeable RM7 database (428K records).

If I try to leave my laptop with RM7 running for more than a couple days, I get more issues with my browsers slowing down than with RM.

Whenver I close & re-open RM7, the first bunch of operations will be SLOW. I suspect that RM is building indexes of various sorts. After I've edited someone, entered a new person, added a new source and a new repository.... then things speed up. But until all of those operations have happened, RM7 seems slower than it should. But, if I'm correct about RM rebuilding indices, then it's just something I accept.

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3594 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

Whenver I close & re-open RM7, the first bunch of operations will be SLOW. I suspect that RM is building indexes of various sorts. 

Actually, I would suspect that what is happening is that after a certain number of I/O operations against your RM database, Windows is caching a lot of that data in I/O buffers on the Windows side of the house. Windows will be caching the disk sectors that have been most recently used. Those disk sectors are probably SQlite indices, but it is surely Windows doing the caching rather than RM doing the caching. Windows will not know that those disk sectors are SQLite indices. It will just know that those disk sectors were the most recently used.

Jerry

#12 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:03 PM

Windows will not know that those disk sectors are SQLite indices. It will just know that those disk sectors were the most recently used.

Jerry

That's makes sense. Thanks.