7 replies to this topic

#1 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:17 PM

I have found LDS documentation for travel abroad for the more prosperous side of the family.

It does not seem proper to use the immigration fact for US citizens returning home.  The customs documentation often gives the exact date of birth, the home address, the date of departure and city, and the date of arrival and city.

So I have refined the date of birth to a more exact date than available from the census.  

Then I use the date of arrival and use that to document the residence.  I use the description field for the residence fact with a sentence in [square brackets] such as [Returning from a cruise on the ship "Ship's name" sailing from Havana, Cuba on 1-FEB-1934 and arriving at The Port of New York on 4-FEB-1934.]

This technique works, but is there a better way to do it?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:24 PM

Somewhere over the past decade I imported a GEDCOM that included two custom facts that I have found very useful:
------------------------------
Name: Arrival
Abbrev: Arrival
Fact type: Personal

Use
  Date: Yes
  Place: Yes
  Description: Yes

Include
  GEDCOM: Yes
  Publish online / Create HTML: Yes
  Group sheets: Yes
  Narrative reports: Yes
  Individual summary: Yes
  Lists: Yes

Sentence template:
[Person] arrived< [Place]>< [Date]>< [Desc].
Name: Departure
Abbrev: Departure
Fact type: Personal

Use
  Date: Yes
  Place: Yes
  Description: Yes

Include
  GEDCOM: Yes
  Publish online / Create HTML: Yes
  Group sheets: Yes
  Narrative reports: Yes
  Individual summary: Yes
  Lists: Yes

Sentence template:
[Person] departed< [Place:plain]>< [Date]>< [Desc].

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:01 AM

I've sometimes used "Psgr List" and "Psgr List (fam)" for this purpose. My memory has become so bad that I don't recollect whether that's a custom fact or if it was built-in.

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:48 AM

I see no need to make a specific fact for immigration.  I have a Vacation fact, whether it is origin to RM, I use this whether in the US or out to another country.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:07 PM

I avoid creating new fact types unless it's for something really, really necessary. For instance, I would never create a fact type for getting a driver's license or having an appendix removed.  Those events are handled adequately by Miscellaneous and Illness.  I feel the same way about people taking overseas trips. It's just a Miscellaneous event. If I were forced to create a fact type, it would probably be called "Travel". 

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:41 PM

Ancestry.com creates Arrival or Departure events from passenger lists and other sources. That may be where yours came from.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 JCK74656

JCK74656

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:31 AM

I avoid creating new fact types unless it's for something really, really necessary. For instance, I would never create a fact type for getting a driver's license or having an appendix removed.  Those events are handled adequately by Miscellaneous and Illness.  I feel the same way about people taking overseas trips. It's just a Miscellaneous event. If I were forced to create a fact type, it would probably be called "Travel". 

I was using emigration but many people returned home before death and emigration is a permanent state so not correct. Ancestry use Departure and Arrival facts, at first I didn't like the Ancestry way but on reflection of the fact Arrival and Departure facts are a more accurate notation. I now use them and more closely align with Ancestry and others which is important to me. Like Don Newcomb I avoid custom facts where possible and try to stay with built in facts and close to some kind of standard, the only emigrations I have now is where I have confirmed deaths in a country other than the birth country anything else is travel no matter how they were away, an exception would be someone who died when on a vacation.

#8 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

As a genealogist I tend to not record travel for vacations or short time trips of a month or less since it does not pertain to genealogy. I have recorded trips that result in extended stays back to the country of birth or family origin as these are important to additional genealogy research in the future like finding a wife, encouraging other families or relatives to move or take care of other family business. For these travels I create a custom fact that I can reuse multiple times.