• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chmcgee_1

chmcgee_1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

I posted this question in an older thread but got no reply, so I'm posting it again. Maybe because it was considered an old post?

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the Relationship Calculator? When running a calculation in RootsMagic I get six relationships between two people in the family tree, which is not unexpected due to endogamy in this particular family. However, when I run the exact same database through Family Tree Maker's relationship calculator I get one blood relation and three non-blood relations between the same people.

Thanks for any input.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:34 AM

I don't know why you have a difference in the results. I've never seen a error in the Relationship Calculator. It should simply returns all the blood relationships. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

RM's calculator does not return non-blood relationships. This is a much requested enhancement.

I can't really speak to why RM reported six blood relationships and FTM only one. Perhaps FTM is reporting on the closest of the six?

The lack of non-blood relationships aside, I have always found RM's relationship calculator to be quite accurate.

Jerry

#4 chmcgee_1

chmcgee_1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:57 AM

Thank you Renee and Jerry!

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:27 PM

RM's calculator does not return non-blood relationships. This is a much requested enhancement.

Clearly there's something I don't understand. My 2nd-great-grandfather was adopted by an aunt and uncle after his parents died. When I run a relationship calculation on a descendant of his adoptive/foster parents I get them listed as the common ancestors. The blood relationship is actually a generation higher up the tree. (The relationship is listed as 4th cousin when the blood relationship is actually 5th cousin.) So, my copy of RM does return non-blood relationships, as if they were blood. Now, if you mean something like "She's my concuñada." I get that RM doesn't handle complex in-law relations.  I wish the Relationship Calculator had a way to exclude Adoptive and Foster relationships. It's important at least for DNA analysis. 

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

I wish the Relationship Calculator had a way to exclude Adoptive and Foster relationships. It's important at least for DNA analysis. 

RM does not do anything at all with the type of relationships you can enter such as Adoptive and Foster except that RM will show the information on the Edit Person screen. So RM does show non-blood relationships such as Adoptive and Foster parents in the Relationship Calculator and it shows them with no indication that they are not blood relationships.. The non-blood relationships that don't show up are basically of the form "spouse of a blood relationship".

Jerry