9 replies to this topic

#1 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:23 AM

Yeah RootsMagic, are you listening? When is RM8 coming out to save us?

Henry T. Casey for LAPTOP Magazine:

As we approach yet another major macOS update — macOS 10.15 is expected to arrive at WWDC 2019 — it appears that time’s running out on some of the apps we’ve collected over the years. Specifically, apps that trigger a warning that reads, “This app needs to be updated by its developer to improve compatibility,” upon opening.

Apps that set off this warning are stuck in the 32-bit past, and not the 64-bit present-day architecture. Developer Steve Troughton-Smith rang the alarm of 32-bit apps going away, tweeting, “Dashboard isn’t the only thing gone in 10.15 — so is 32-bit app & plugin support.”

…But what if you find out that an app you rely on is still 32 bit? Well, you’ve got two options: First, contact the app’s developer from their website and ask for it to be changed (they’ve known about this since 2017). Alternatively, you can find an alternative app that solves your need.

MacDailyNews Take: Hopefully, if you’ve got any older 32-bit apps upon which you depend, there’s already a 64-bit version available or in development. As for the rest of the 32-bit stuff – frameworks, plugins, etc. – unfortunately that might take a bit longer to modernize.

#2 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:44 AM

This has begun to worry me a little, too. I normally update my OS fairly soon after a new version has been released, so I wouldn't want to have to wait too long before doing so.

An added complication is that I am considering changing my iMac this year, and if RM8 is going to be very late, I would clearly have to do so *before* the new 10.15 is released, otherwise my RM (probably) wouldn't run on it. This means I would have to update the OS separately later, which is no big deal, but even so, irritating to haver to do so.

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

This has begun to worry me a little, too. I normally update my OS fairly soon after a new version has been released, so I wouldn't want to have to wait too long before doing so.

An added complication is that I am considering changing my iMac this year, and if RM8 is going to be very late, I would clearly have to do so *before* the new 10.15 is released, otherwise my RM (probably) wouldn't run on it. This means I would have to update the OS separately later, which is no big deal, but even so, irritating to haver to do so.

And, of course, if you end up with a new new model of iMac (which may or may not happen, of course), it may only run 10.15. In that case, you won’t be able to run RM for Mac at all. Ugh! (I suppose that is what you were saying.)

#4 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

That was my point!

#5 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:57 PM

Unjustified worry about new mac os. catalina comes out in late september. macs bought before then will have mojave on them.

the mythical RM8, if it ever appears, will run on the last 3 mac os versions which is what Apple supports. Anyone further back than that is asking for trouble.

32 bit apps can be easily found under the apple menu about this mac. look for replacements or prod the developers to wake up. not much of an issue. RM7 is not a real mac app--just an ugly windows xp program inside a fake bottle environment.

imac was updated in oct 2018 and won't change for some time.

#6 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:00 AM

And your point is?

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:13 AM

It is the CrossOver wrapper that will eventually need to be upgraded to run on 64-bit. CrossOver is working on that. For the native Mac version of RootsMagic we will make sure it meets Apple's requirements.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Renee - I though it might be the wrapper that would need attention

#9 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:53 PM

CATALINA KILLS ROOTSMAGIC 7! Catalina does not allow any 32-bit programs to operate any longer when you upgrade to Catalina. Done deal. 

Your option at this point since RM currently has no 64-bit version for the Mac? Supposeldy run an older version fo Mac OS in Virtual Mode and store RM7 there or put the Mac OS older version on a thumb drive and load RM7 on the same unit. 

Virtual Box does not function fully under Catalina. Does the latest CrossOver?

Feel like McGyver yet?

#10 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:57 AM

CATALINA KILLS ROOTSMAGIC 7! Catalina does not allow any 32-bit programs to operate any longer when you upgrade to Catalina. Done deal. 

Your option at this point since RM currently has no 64-bit version for the Mac? Supposeldy run an older version fo Mac OS in Virtual Mode and store RM7 there or put the Mac OS older version on a thumb drive and load RM7 on the same unit. 

Virtual Box does not function fully under Catalina. Does the latest CrossOver?

Feel like McGyver yet?

A quote from a CrossOver forum responding on this topic - dated 26 June.

-

Maintaining support for 32-bit applications on macOS 10.15 Catalina continues to be a top priority for us. We appreciate that September is right around the corner and that macOS users are eager for a solution - we are confident that this support will be available when Catalina is released.

CrossOver 19 will move to beta later this summer. I invite all who are interested in the latest CrossOver development updates and are willing to provide feedback on pre-release versions of CrossOver to join here: https://www.codeweav...patibility/beta

-

It would seem that work has been on-going for some time, but as is often the case for software companies, they aim new functionality for GA availability rather than beta availability of new OS levels.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 32-bit, Mac OS