Photo

RootsMagic Wall Chart Image Display Probs Only on Mac?

Wall Chart Image Display Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tonyjohnston.toronto

tonyjohnston.toronto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

I am wondering if the problem I am having displaying .jpg images in a descendant wall chart using the export function from my RootsMagic7 program is only a problem when RM runs on a Mac, or is it a problem on RM for Windows too?

Here is a quick description of the issue I encountered. My exported wall chart contained badly pixelated copies of people's portrait images despite how the original image digital files and similar descendant chart output from my old FamilyTreeMaker program all have been very crisp and clear.

1 > Copy of on-screen image from my RootsMagic7 program:

Scott1.jpg

2 > Partial copy from my descendant wall chart created using my RootsMagic7 program that shows example of bad pixelation:

Scott2.jpg

What I am certainly hoping is that when RootsMagic8 comes out, this problem will have been resolved!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

In the wall chart viewer it's only using the thumbnail. But, when you print it should use the image stored on the computer. Best to save it as a file or print to PDF before you can judge the image quality. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 tonyjohnston.toronto

tonyjohnston.toronto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:59 PM

In the wall chart viewer it's only using the thumbnail. But, when you print it should use the image stored on the computer. Best to save it as a file or print to PDF before you can judge the image quality. 

Thank you for your response post. On looking into your proposed methodology and comments, I found that when running RM on Mac, there is no capability to print to PDF. And in general, saving a Wall Chart before printing does not cause the thumbnail images to be swapped for higher, full-sized image files. Now because I tried saving my Wall Chart to each available file type (i.e. *.emf, *.bmp, *.jpg, *.pcx, *.png, and *.tga), what I did find was that there is only way to get high resolution images on the Wall Chart. That was accomplished when I saved the Chart as an *.emf, then opened it on the Windows10 side of my Mac in their MSPaint app, where I then resaved the Chart as a *.jpg. (unfortunately, going straight to *.jpg only resulted in my be left with low quality thumbnail images as putput). In conclusion, while I now have a means to the end I sought to achieve, I doubt there are many Mac users running RM that also run Windows10 via a Parallels virtual machine. I suggest, given that genealogy is all about sharing your information with others, RM for Mac really needs to upgraded so that all reports produce high-quality / no-pixelation images in just one straight forward step.