• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dora

Dora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:11 PM

I can't back up to Google Drive.   I've been trying for several days.   It's the first time I've tried.  I've read what I can find of instructions, and they aren't systematically spelled out anywhere, but it seems intuitive enough.

There is evidently no way to just set it up to automatically back up to Google Drive.  Not that I'd necessarily know if there were.  Every time the matter comes up on this forum, someone refers people to something he wrote to some OTHER post that can never be found, instead of simply providing the instructions how to do it.   Would it KILL you to write a few extra words.   

If there were and I didn't do it than it would no more work than trying to use Family Search without setting it up first.    You set it up to ask you to create a backup on exiting the program, but you can't set up a specific backup method.    Which is a nuisance since no matter what your backup method is, you have to jump through an entire set of hoops each and every time you exit Rootsmagic.

So I click to close Rootsmagic, and it asks me if I want to backup this database.

I choose Google Drive.

I get an Authorize box.  I choose my account to continue to Rootsmagic.  

I allow Rootsmagic access to my Google account - AGAIN.    I've allowed Rootsmagic access to my Google account six times now.

Back comes a blank box with Authorize at the top, and nothing further happens.   

That's what I've got each and every time.

Please don't tell me that Google is failing at its end again, and we need to wait until Google fixes it again.  It was working and then it wasn't, and then it was working, and now it isn't, we just have to wait until Google fixes it AGAIN - I don't think so!    You and Google need to get it together!

If I could suggest, I don't know why we're clearly going through Rootsmagic's servers to back our data up to Google Drive; that is asking for an entire set of problems that I can't see why they need to exist.   Can you just set it up so our program backs up directly to Google Drive, like I expected it to do to begin with?    Rootsmagic does not need to be getting authorization to use our Google accounts to take our databases and upload them to Google Drive for us.  That is BOGUS.   

And, no, I do not want to hear everyone's DIFFERENT method of backing up my files, in answer to this question.  I say this because every other time the matter has come up, the person who posted it got "it broke, whatever" from Rootsmagic, sometimes together with "go to where I said how to do it here" and then the instructions are never there; and from other people, lots of instructions how to do anything BUT what they specifically said they want to be able to do.  That is simply nonresponsive.  Everything else on my computer backs up to Google Drive and I want Rootsmagic to automatically back up to Google Drive as well.   You provided a means to do that and you need to get it to work.    I do NOT want to get told how to do something completely different.  

You did start the whole thing by promising us we can backup our data to Google Drive.   You need to get it to work or withdraw it.  I am a paying customer, so if all I get is an attitude, I can atleast register a complaint with the Better Business Bureau!   That might teach you to answer better than "whatever" to any complaint.  

Thank you!

Yours,

Dora Smith

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

Apart from Renee Zamora, we are all users-customers of RootsMagic who respond in this forum. So please forgive us for trying to be helpful.

The Save to Google function is broken.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 DJY

DJY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

Has anyone seen an official post about when the Google backup function will be restored?  I searched but didn't find anything.  I rely heavily on that function, so I hope it's restored.  In the meantime, I backed up to a folder on my c: drive and then manually dropped the backup file (*.rmgb) into my Google drive for an off-site backup.  If someone knows a reason that workaround is a bad idea, please let me know!

#4 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:23 AM

I have never used the google backup function in fact I did not know it existed until this post. But I do this to backup my RM7 file to Google Drive.

When you install the Google Drive app it puts a Google Drive Folder/Directory on your hard drive. So in RM7's Program Options > Folders in the Default Folders make the Backup files point to your Google Drive Folder/Directory. Mine looks like this  Z:\RWells Data\Google Drive\RM7 Backup.

I am on a Mac but with this setup every time I EXIT the program I get the prompt to backup with the Backup this database selected I press the enter key. I press the enter key again and away it goes. Then Google Drive dose it's thing. Since I exit the program multi times a day I will also press the enter key again to override the old backup after the first time for the day. So I have a backup for each day that I use RM7. At the end of the month I usually delete some of the older backups.

No need to manually do anything except the exit key and enter key. And you have to do something else to prevent it from going to Google Drive so less likely to forget.

Hope this helps some. I am concerned about offering help as it may not be exactly what the original poster wanted and the tone of the post was somewhat threatening.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:09 AM

I have never used RM's "backup to Dropbox/Google Drive" functions. I use Dropbox rather than Google Drive and I use a procedure pretty much identical to that described by RWells1938 to make all my backups go to Dropbox. It seems to me that such a procedure is entirely adequate and that no time need be spent by RM developers to chase a moving API target on the part of either Google or Dropbox.

Perhaps all that is needed is some better documentation of how to set up RM to use Google Drive and Dropbox in this manner. Or perhaps there could even be an option where there could still be a "backup to Dropbox/Google Drive" that instead of using an API would simply locate the appropriate folder for you automatically.

Jerry

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

I have not seen any updates on the Google Drive App situation. Local folders are the only option right now.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 DJY

DJY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:54 PM

I, too, miss the Google backup function.  I haven't kept close track of what happens when it fails (I've just backed up to my c: drive and then manually moved the backup file to my google drive via the web view) but for what it's worth --- it seems that I'm getting a new and more informative error message (below).  Does this indicate that perhaps the Rootsmagic app itself needs to be verified with Google as a trusted program rather than being an individual account authorization issue?  Anyway --- FYI in case it's helpful to someone.  I certainly don't know what to do with it!

Context:  I don't have any synced drives.  I've turned off OneDrive and I do a manual backup to an external hard drive.  My only mode of backing up to Google was to use the "back up --> to google drive" option.  [I am planning to ditch the external backup drive & install Google Backup & Sync, though. A big thank you to all the folks who pointed out in other threads that syncing of the actual *.rmgc file risks a corruption issue.  I'll be sure to exclude the Rootsmagic folder from the sync list and instead will put the backup file in a separate folder on my c:drive for sync.]

Sign in with Google temporarily disabled for this app

This app has not been verified yet by Google in order to use Google Sign In.

#8 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

I now use sharepoint, but have used dropbox, one drive and google drive, all work the same and indeed you do not need a RM tools to synchronise google drive: 

by having google drive synchronised on your computer, you have a Google drive folder that is always synchronised (in file explorer, in left pane).

If you do not have it you need to download google drive to your computer:

1. Open the Google Drive Icon on your desktop or start menu.
  2. Type your Google Account username and password to sign in to Google Drive. ...
  3. Complete the installation instructions.
  4. Click Start and choose Google Drive.
  5. Move or copy files and folders from your desktop into your Google Drive folder to begin syncing items. -> you will never be asked for your password again

By having your Rootmagic folder in this one (it becomes your only local copy), with subfolders Backup, Data, Gedcom, Multimedia, Reports, … you do not need anything from RM to get it synchronised: when you close RM, if you say you want to back up it will create a back up in the Back up folder ("without knowing it is on google drive" I could say, he just reads c:/Dora/googledrive/rootsmagic/backup). No authorisation required, the only second window you can get is if you add a backup with default name 2 times the same day asking if you want to overwrite the first one. This google drive folder will send any file to the cloud as soon as it has an internet connection (instantaneous if you are connected), so if you do not backup and then crash your computer, all your work is still in your .rmgc file in your Data folder and you can download it from the cloud to your new computer as if nothing happened. No loss. You can also work on different computers as long as not at the same time (google drive handle conflicts if you forget to close a session by creating a copy and I believe -not sure- it warns you). 

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:04 AM

I have never used RM's "backup to Dropbox/Google Drive" functions. I use Dropbox rather than Google Drive and I use a procedure pretty much identical to that described by RWells1938 to make all my backups go to Dropbox. It seems to me that such a procedure is entirely adequate and that no time need be spent by RM developers to chase a moving API target on the part of either Google or Dropbox.

Perhaps all that is needed is some better documentation of how to set up RM to use Google Drive and Dropbox in this manner. Or perhaps there could even be an option where there could still be a "backup to Dropbox/Google Drive" that instead of using an API would simply locate the appropriate folder for you automatically.

Jerry

Simple Enhancement Request:

Remove the backup to Dropbox and Google options from RM8, managing API's to ever changing cloud services is not in RMs remit and wastes development time.

I was preparing a video on backing up to cloud services but shelved it, Rootsmagic simply need something in the help file and a Magic Guide to educate people how to manage cloud services. That being said the need for a video or any additional written instruction only comes about from Rootsmagic having provided these options in the first place and the resulting difficulties users have expressed.

Remove the options, remove the onus on Rootsmagic, save development time for more worthy issues and remove multiple posts and communication on "I can't get it to work....."

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:32 AM

... managing API's to ever changing cloud services is not in RMs remit and wastes development time.

viz. Mapping, TreeShare, WebHints, FamilySearch...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:44 AM

You can also work on different computers as long as not at the same time. 

RM Support and experienced users advise that you should Pause active syncing (whether DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive, et al) while the database file is open even on only one computer (if the .rmgc file is stored in a sync folder) to avoid a risk of collision, conflicting versions, or even corruption. While there are some who claim they have never been afflicted by sync issues, the empirical evidence suggests that they've been on the lucky side of the 1 in 100 (pick any number) odds of it happening. RootsMagic modifies the data file so frequently that sync cannot finish with one change before the file has been changed many more times.

#12 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:44 AM

RM is chasing a moving target.  I never did like Ancestry anyway.  Don't use it, so all of the RM work for sharing is wasted effort as far as I am concerned.

#13 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

viz. Mapping, TreeShare, WebHints, FamilySearch...

Oh we're so pedantic today :D or should I say overly precise, you know exactly what I mean.

Off subject, and I haven't looked, but did you ever write anything up on sort dates? and how they are understood by Rootsmagic, I mean the numeric in the EventTable?

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:08 AM

I couldn't resist 😏

Yes, with the help of Steve Turley, we have a pretty good understanding of SortDate numbers and an algorithm to decode and encode them. See https://sqlitetoolsf...Date-Algorithm/

#15 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:49 PM

RM Support and experienced users advise that you should Pause active syncing while the database file is open even on only one computer 

I would never do that for a few reasons (at my own risks)

1.I would forget to turn it off and on anyway.

2.If computer crashes I lose data

3.I never experienced the slightest issue with sharepoint (that is a bad reason but I will not try to fix what is not broken)

4.If the issue happens, I would have a backup from my last session anyway

5. SharePoint, OneDrive or Dropbox (paid version) allow you to work with files versions, I might get even better than last session backup.

=> I would not risk to lose family photos, work or anything I thought I stored on the cloud because I forgot to put it back on. I have nothing saved anywhere else, all my files are on the cloud, used on a few computers. That works fine (even modifying with SQL and opened in RM on sharepoint) and I frequently work on different things in parallel to my tree. Might not be ideal but will keep the sync on no matter the potential risk.

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#16 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:03 PM

I couldn't resist

Yes, with the help of Steve Turley, we have a pretty good understanding of SortDate numbers and an algorithm to decode and encode them. See https://sqlitetoolsf...Date-Algorithm/

I know and I did notice you put mapping first, maybe we should drop APIs for Google and Dropbox and add APIs for the likes of Openmap ;)

Thanks for the link and all your good work as always, I don't know where Rootsmagic would be without you :), I have been unskewing my sortdates via gedcom interaction but it would be just as easy to remove the skew I don't like through SQL.

Root

#17 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

I would never do that (pause Sync) for a few reasons (at my own risks)

=> I would not risk to lose family photos, work or anything I thought I stored on the cloud because I forgot to put it back on. I have nothing saved anywhere else, all my files are on the cloud,   

As long as you are making and retaining for a reasonable time static backups at intervals frequent enough that you don't mind redoing the work, you are reasonably safe. There are others who have been caught out with corruption of their database suspected to be caused by active syncing without a recent backup. Some RM operational errors are thought to be conflicting file accesses between RM and the sync tool. 

And it is debatable whether synced cloud "drives" should be considered "backup" when their purpose is fundamentally about sharing and collaborating among different devices and/or people.