• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 havanolden

havanolden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:09 PM

When I want to print a Pedigree Chart the Report Viewer shows the Pedigree Chart as a tiny chart in the upper left hand of the page, approximately one quarter of the normal size.  The Index of Names on the next page below does not have that problem, it is normal sized.

I have found that by changing my laptop/desktop Display Scale and layout to 100% I get a normal pedigree printout.  I keep my laptop scaling at 250%; if I were to go to 100% on my laptop I would not be able to read the extremely fine fonts.  This happens to both my laptop and desktop computers.

Are there any work arounds for this display scaling problem?

On my Legacy Genealogy program this is no issue, I can set my scaling to any size I want and Legacy remains normal. I prefer to use RootsMagic.

Thank you,

Hans van Olden

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1473 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:52 PM

I moved in to a new laptop a half year ago, and had noticed that my printed Publisher reports were printing incorrectly. The images (Pedigree charts, photos, certificates, etc.) were all printing too small on the page, as if the right & bottom margins for the images were set too large. I checked all of my printer settings, and couldn't find anything that changed the print results.

I just did a test run on Display Scaling. I use a 125% value to make my screen fonts legible and convenient.

When I set the Display scaling to 100%, the printed graphics came out correctly !!!!!!!

Why in the world should the Display scaling affect print size?

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

I and my client have had this issue for over a year and changing the Display setting or Print settings to 125% or 250% still prints charts as 3/4 of the page.  So am I changing the wrong thing.  Yes, am on a Laptop Win 10, Dell.  My client is on a desktop PC machine.   What are we doing wrong?  I've complained on here but no one answers my issue.  Maybe said it wrong or ???? 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:05 AM

First thing to check should probably be the Printer/Printer Driver software in use, including any PDF Printer Drivers that you may have installed.  Has it/Have they been updated since you moved to an HDiPI display system (i.e. is all of your software HDiPI aware - fully compatible with HDiPI screen displays)?

I may be wrong but this is a relatively common issue, as many users keep their peripheral hardware (and its original software/drivers) for much longer than their PCs/Laptops.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1473 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:24 AM

It's true that I've kept using a very reliable (and inexpensive) HP printer, and Print-to-PDF software that's been around a few years. I have no idea what HDiPI display menas, or why that should be affecting print sizes.

Sounds like buggy software somewhere, to me.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:19 AM

Here is a Knowledge Base article on Tiny Pedigree Charts.

https://support.root...t-When-Printing

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:31 AM

The Knowledge Base article Renee pointed to gives a good summary of the behaviour I referred to.  

Think of it this way: If you have a 'modern' laptop with a HiDPI (High Definition Dots Per Inch) Screen set to its maximum display capability (which most computer users have no genuine need for) and an 'old' printer (or any software) which was produced before such displays were widely available, then that is somewhat equivalent to expecting a 1990s TV to be able to accurately display a Ultra High Definition DVD Film.  It's simply not going to happen without a conversion process.

Mervyn 

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1473 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

I also read the knowledge base article. I'm not a programmer, so it makes no sense to me that the display and print operations should use the same API (or other program module) and settings. Display and print are fundamentally different ways of presenting data. If Microsoft is forcing this issue upon software developers (such as RM), then it is a bug in Microsoft's policies. It is absolutely STUPID for users to be expected to modify their display settings in order to generate proper print output.