Photo

Is it possible to search or sort Master Todo List by City?

Todo search City sort

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Margthecar

Margthecar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

I am new to the ToDo list and hope to use it to keep track of items by City where they are located.  For example, I might have 5 documents to search for in Sacramento, CA but for different people and entered over maybe a year or two.  Then one day I find out I have a meeting in Sacramento with an afternoon free to search and want to print out those items in my ToDo list that are located in Sacramento.  I look under Lists--ToDo and see the Master List but there does not seem to be any way to search it by City, as entered in the address field.  It would be very tedious to go manually down the list one by one.  Is there any way to search and/or sort the Master To-do list by City?

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:46 AM

I am new to the ToDo list and hope to use it to keep track of items by City where they are located.  For example, I might have 5 documents to search for in Sacramento, CA but for different people and entered over maybe a year or two.  Then one day I find out I have a meeting in Sacramento with an afternoon free to search and want to print out those items in my ToDo list that are located in Sacramento.  I look under Lists--ToDo and see the Master List but there does not seem to be any way to search it by City, as entered in the address field.  It would be very tedious to go manually down the list one by one.  Is there any way to search and/or sort the Master To-do list by City?

Effective sorting has always been lacking in To-Do list operation however what I do is prefix the Task name with my own key to suit like in your case the Task name could begin [Sac].

Since Research Manager came into being I do track geographical areas by creating a log for each Place of interest, in my case these are generally Parishes but for you it could be Sacramento. Once I complete the To-Do I move it to the appropriate Research Log. This means if I return focus to an area years later I can see my log of what records I have previously completed and any difficulties so not repeating myself.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:56 AM

I think RM's Research Log facility is a good bit better than its To Do List facility, but I ultimately have chosen not to use either one of them. Instead, I enter my To Do List and Research log type information into dummy facts (including notes and description fields) associated with real dummy people and with real people. That means that my To Do lists and Research Logs are fully integrated into the rest of RM. Hence, all of RM's tools for real people are available to me for To Do lists and for Research logs - color coding, groups, People View, custom reports, searching, sorting, Find Anywhere, etc.

It also means that my To Do List and Research Log information is not lost if I transfer my RM data to third party software. Indeed (and depending on the nature of the third party software), sometimes I have to go out of my way NOT to transfer my To Do List and Research Log information to third party software if the data would not be meaningful to such software. For example, I have recently been playing with FT Analyzer to look for errors in my data. I don't want to look for "errors" in dummy people or dummy facts.

Jerry

#4 Margthecar

Margthecar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Jerry and Vyger, these are both viable solutions to achieve my goal.  Since I am just beginning my list, it will easy to incorporate either one.  I will experiment to see which suits me better.  Meantime, I will put in a feature request to make ToDo list sortable by elements in its database.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

Meantime, I will put in a feature request to make ToDo list sortable by elements in its database.

Rootsmagic Wish List

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8451 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. If you need to find something inside of a To-Do item you can use Search>Find Everywhere.

Renee
RootsMagic