2 replies to this topic

#1 tonyt071

tonyt071

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:43 AM

Hi

Two more newby questions on using RM7 (or other software) to test in a 5,000 person tree if any of the links are royals or nobles? I am happy to do the test using my GEDCOM

Secondly, I am coming to terms with all the orphans my search has created and is there an easy way (in RM7, ancestry.com or otherwise) to identify and delete them please?

Many thanks Tony

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3529 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:45 AM

If by orphans, you mean people not connected to anybody, then a good tool in RM is Tools>Count Trees. Trees with only one person are such "orphans".

I tend not to want to delete such trees. Usually they arise by such mechanisms as entering all burials for the Bryan surname in Hamblen County, Tennessee into my RM database. Many such people came into my RM database as "orphans" and later I was able to connect them up with people who were already in the database.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

I would look for lines going back to the 1500's to search for a royalty line. If you can identify a start person you could make a group of them. Unless you have royalty or a title you were search on it will be a struggle to identify who is royalty otherwsie. Generate a cascading pedigree chart and save it as a PDF to find your oldest lines. 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Royals / Orphans, Compact, Tree