#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:46 PM

Seeking Opinions

I've got a quick RM question and would appreciate any feedback.

I have started using a new process (for me anyway) to enter fact sources for multiple persons who "share" common facts/events. I would like to know if others are doing this, and if anyone sees any issues as a result.

I have found that in many cases it is easier to create a source/citation for one person, attach any relevant media, and then memorize and paste it against a fact or event for another person, or group of persons, rather than create a new citation for each person. (Of course, there are cases where the source/citation is only for a single person and this would not apply.)

An example would be to create a census fact, assign a master source/citation, with a copy of the census media, for the head of the family, and then memorizing and pasting it to a census fact for each census family member. A new fact/event does have to be created for each person, but the master source/citation/media only have to be entered once. This is very fast and also seems to work well for data transfers with Ancestry, etc.

It seems very similar to RM sharing, but it really is not. Each memorized source/citation, and media instance, is unique to the person it is pasted to, with none of the "links" associated with sharing. (You may need to annotate some specific citation details for each person.) The media transfers fine and is automatically attached to the citation for each person.

So far, I have not found any significant issues with this process. However, I am concerned that I may be missing something that may cause me significant family tree rework later.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:52 PM

That is how I do it. Haven't run into any issues doing this.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

Thank you Renee
Appreciate it

Rick

RickL

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:31 PM

Memorize/paste is the totally standard procedure that I suspect most experienced RM users use. Indeed, for a document such as an obituary that mentions lots of names I might end up pasting the same citation as many as 20 or 30 times.

There is a subtle design deficiency in RM's underlying data model that in turn creates a subtle problem with the citation memorize/paste procedure. Suppose you paste the same citation 20 or 30 times, and then suppose you discover a typo or other error. Or suppose you forgot to link in media before you did the memorize/paste. In any of these kinds of situations, you typically have to find all the many places you pasted the erroneous citation and correct the error in each place.

I solved the problem, but I suspect that most RM users are not very enthusiastic about my solution. Namely, I only enter data into RM's Master Source fields and I enter no data into RM's Source Details field. The result is that I am an extreme source splitter and my list of Master Sources is extremely long. But any data that I need to correct that is in a Master Source (which in my case is all my source data) needs to be corrected only once instead of many, many times.

Jerry

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:23 AM

I also do it the way Renee does it.  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

Memorize/paste is the totally standard procedure that I suspect most experienced RM users use. Indeed, for a document such as an obituary that mentions lots of names I might end up pasting the same citation as many as 20 or 30 times.

There is a subtle design deficiency in RM's underlying data model that in turn creates a subtle problem with the citation memorize/paste procedure. Suppose you paste the same citation 20 or 30 times, and then suppose you discover a typo or other error. Or suppose you forgot to link in media before you did the memorize/paste. In any of these kinds of situations, you typically have to find all the many places you pasted the erroneous citation and correct the error in each place.

I solved the problem, but I suspect that most RM users are not very enthusiastic about my solution. Namely, I only enter data into RM's Master Source fields and I enter no data into RM's Source Details field. The result is that I am an extreme source splitter and my list of Master Sources is extremely long. But any data that I need to correct that is in a Master Source (which in my case is all my source data) needs to be corrected only once instead of many, many times.

Jerry

Jerry,

I understand your point, and indeed have run into some of the problems that you mentioned. However, I guess it boils down to a judgment call as to when to create a "unique" master source for memorizing, vs a standard one to be used with citations. If a user goes full on to all unique master sources (like you have), and no citation details, then how do you enter individual notes about a specific person or event without filling up the master source with a lot of individual details. I can see creating a unique master source in cases like an obituary, where you might think that you woud not encounter that source again (local newspaper etc). But others, like census records, seem to make sense to create a "standard" master source, and then enter specific details in the citation. This will just take more thought and experience to decide.

In any case, I'm glad to hear that others are using the memorization and pasting  of source/citations/media without any program or platform sharing issues.

Thanks for the feed back.

Rick

RickL

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

But others, like census records, seem to make sense to create a "standard" master source, and then enter specific details in the citation. This will just take more thought and experience to decide.

It's not an easy decision how much to lump or split sources, and I certainly don't criticize anyone who takes a different approach than I do. But just to be clear, I really do make a separate Master Source in RM for each census image. There can obviously be multiple families on one census page, in which case the same Master Source can be used for multiple families. And sometimes a single family can span two census pages, in which case I may have to use two Master Sources to cover the family. It's not an approach that most people will like, but it works for me.

But as far as having a "standard" Master Source for census pages, I find it not to be a problem. That's because I don't start a new Master Source from scratch every time I'm entering a new census page into RM. Instead, I find an existing Master Source that's as close as possible to the one I'm about to make and I copy it. Copying an existing Master Source and doing a memorize/paste of an existing citation sound like similar procedures but in fact they are quite different. Having copied an existing Master Source, I then edit it as required to make it into the new Master Source. Often, not much editing is required.

As far as "census notes", I had a procedure in place before RM where I transcribed census entries onto Web pages at my own Web site. These pages are created by editing HTML and are not created by any software such as RM. Most people wouldn't want to go to the trouble of maintaining such transcriptions as Web pages.  But even so, if you are doing census transcriptions I think it is much easier to do them into something like Notepad and then copy and paste them from there into RM than it is to transcribe directly into RM. I find transcribing anything directly into RM to be very awkward.

In any case, having completed my transcriptions from outside of RM, I then copy and paste the transcriptions into two different places in RM. This is the standard Windows copy and paste text with CTL-C to copy and CTL-V to paste. One place is the Source Text field of the Master Source. The other place is the Note field of the census fact. I also tag the image of the census page both to the Master Source and to the census fact. If I were not an extreme source splitter, I would still connect everything to the census fact and I would connect the census image and census transcription to the Source Details instead of to the Master Source.

Jerry

P.S. You can see an example of my hand coded HTML for census transcriptions (and also annotations) at http://jerrybryan.co...erson/1940.html  A minor correction: I copy and paste the census transcriptions into notes for census facts in RM. I copy and paste both the census transcriptions and the census annotations into the Source Text field of the Master Source in RM. But I repeat that it's much easier to do both the census transcriptions and the census annotations outside of RM and to copy and paste them in than it is to do the census transcriptions and annotations directly into RM.

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:51 PM

Jerry,
This is very helpful. With the exception of creating unique master sources for every instance, I am doing basically the same as you. I also use the Windows CTL-C and CTL-V to paste data into the source and citation in RM. Depending on how much editing I think I may need to do, I'll paste it into Notepad first and then copy/paste it into RM when I'm done. I also pick up a lot of text from Ancestry by going to (for example) a hint, view on line, then click the print button and capture the data from the print preview screen. This also is helpful to pick up the master source and citation data. When editing the text, I also make extensive use of a clipboard manager tool called "ClipClip".

Anyway, sounds like I'm on the right track.

Thanks again,

Rick

RickL

#9 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:21 AM

Have not been very active here but need to re copy an old discussion on census records.  I do it different than others do.  So here is my copy of the way I do them.  Or go look at 2015 Forum, Tips and Hints for 

Census Records using one record per census year   or one Master Source record per census year. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#10 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

Have not been very active here but need to re copy an old discussion on census records.  I do it different than others do.  So here is my copy of the way I do them.  Or go look at 2015 Forum, Tips and Hints for 

Census Records using one record per census year   or one Master Source record per census year. 

Nettie,

Thanks for your post, especially the tip about using an " * " to force flagged master sources  to the top of the list.

I am doing about the same as you, except that I create a census master source for each census year for both Ancestry and for Family search (where I do most of my census searches). Like you, I name all my master sources with a prefix. (Example: Census = "[CEN]".) This groups my entire master census list by type.

Now that I have brought some semblance of order to all this, I am working to correct all my assigned sources (past sloppiness) by using the Merge tool. 

Thanks again for the tips,

Rick

RickL