• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tonyt071

tonyt071

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:25 AM

Hi All, I am new to RM, have a 4000 person tree in ancestry. Used TreeShare to link RM with ancestry so I understand the trees are in initial alignment

If i update ancestry then I can further sync to RM - seems logical

If I update RM (because I have lots of duplicates in ancestry) then I am not certain how i can then sync to ancestry - save RM tree and export GEDCOM and then import as another tree in ancestry (with all media etc)

Should I just update either RM or ancestry or is my logic incorrect please?

Last question if I may is there a tool or report in RM which tests the consistency of a tree IE person by person across each generation? (to highlight missing people / links)

Many thanks for your support Tony

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:00 PM

After the initial download from ancestry to RM, TreeShare does not provide a true sync. Rather, it's a "share" where you have to approve the copying of each piece of changed data from ancestry to RM on a case by case basis. Some users like this approach. Some users find it too cumbersome.

If instead of further changes to ancestry you make further changes to RM then the "sharing" process is the same. Run TreeShare in RM. It will identify changes made to either system and you can (or must, because it's not automatic) approve the copying of the changed data from RM to ancestry on a case by case basis just like you can approve the copying of changed data from ancestry to RM on a case by case basis.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8452 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

RootsMagic's TreeShare for Ancestry

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

Last question if I may is there a tool or report in RM which tests the consistency of a tree IE person by person across each generation? (to highlight missing people / links)

Not sure how a lineage tree can be tested for missing people or missing links. Tools > Count Trees will tell you if you have a person not connected to your main tree or if you have more than one tree in your database.

Tools > Problem List will help find problems in your data and weird situations such as married after dying.

The outboard GEDCOM tool Family Tree Analyzer has many other ways of reviewing your data.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 tonyt071

tonyt071

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:02 AM

Thank you for your kind insight and the excellent tip about FTA

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:39 AM

I had never heard of Family Tree Analyzer. But inspired by Tom's message, I downloaded it and played with it a little bit. It seems like a very nice tool.  It immediately pointed out some problems in my database that I probably never would have found otherwise.

To me, this raises for the umpteenth time a genealogy issue I think about a lot. Namely, should you expect and require your main genealogy software to be extremely comprehensive in meeting all your needs, or rather should you expect to use a variety of outboard tools such as FTA to supplement your main genealogy software? Or more specifically, exactly what should you expect from your main genealogy software?

I have never heard the RM developers frame the issue exactly in this manner, but I'm sure it's something that they have to grapple with from time to time. Problem detection is a good example. Although it would be nice if RM's problem detection mechanisms identified all the same problems as does FTA, do we really want all the RM developers time spent replicating all of FTA's functionality?  And isn't it nice that FTA can work not only with RM but also with all of RM's competitors? Hence,the time and effort spent developing and supporting FTA can be amortized across all the genealogy users in the world and not just across all the RM users in the world.

Jerry

#7 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

To me, this raises for the umpteenth time a genealogy issue I think about a lot. Namely, should you expect and require your main genealogy software to be extremely comprehensive in meeting all your needs, or rather should you expect to use a variety of outboard tools such as FTA to supplement your main genealogy software? Or more specifically, exactly what should you expect from your main genealogy software?

Jerry

When I started out, now more than 20 years ago I did expect one piece of software to 'do it all' but experience has shown me that's more a dream than reality (perhaps RM 8 will prove me wrong). That said I also think its sometimes nice to use other programmes, it keeps me aware of what is out there, often just does what I want where RM did not, and sometimes makes me think about things in a different way, which can be good! It was  mentioned recently on the forum about RM websites, I think RM is rather dated in this respect and likely heading in the wrong direction, so using a 3rd party utility is for me a simple solution,  I also use a word processor for some of my writing, can I ever expect RM to be as good as Word or LibreOffice?

I think the nearest a programme might come to meeting all my needs (and or doing things in the way I want) would be to allow 3rd party 'add ons' - (as some programmes do - eg Gramps & FH) the community can then take a stab at filling in some of the gaps.

All that said RM8 may still be my programme of choice when its released, after all none of the competition is perfect, its our choice where we spend our cash :-)

#8 tonyt071

tonyt071

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:48 AM

I am happy to use RM7 and RM8 as well as excellent apps like:

The last three can assist across the main family tree applications, obviously including RM

Any other third party "add ons" to consider please?

Many thanks  Tony

#9 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:19 AM

GedSite, to make presentation-grade websites, either for the net or for buring to CDs or flash drives. www.gedsite.com.