• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sethlemley

Sethlemley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:34 AM

Roots Magic is set to save my file on an external drive. Everything was working fine and I would periodically copy the .rmgc over to Dropbox as a backup. This morning I went to copy the file to Dropbox and realized the file on Dropbox had this mornings date modified and the file on the external was a few days older? I did not overwrite either file at this point. I thought the program would save the file to the folder you had selected in the tools>folder options? Seems to be saving to Dropbox instead

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

It will save where you have it set to go. Check the location of the database file and make sure you're not editing it live inside the Dropbox folder. That's about the only way the modify data can change if you hadn't saved it there yet.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1625 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:20 AM

My way of using the database is on my D: drive on my laptop.  I only use the DropBox copy when I am using my Kindle or Cell Phone.  So the Dropbox copy gets updated when I know I will be using my database at  a library or repository.    None of my data is on a c: drive.  D drive is for data only and my backup USB is always attached especially for OneNote.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0