8 replies to this topic

#1 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

I'm wondering is there's any reason to keep unused places. I've been going through a lot of place cleanup most moving things that were in place to something more appropriate like place details or description. For example I had one entry where the year had been put in the place, so I found the person, fixed the entry, but I still have a "place" called 1916. It's on the unused places list so I deleted it. I also had a fair number of people that had "Immigration: ship name into placename, country, captain: so and so". I corrected these to a proper Immigration event and merged the place into the place, and put the remainder in description, but the"Immigration" entry is still in the place list as unused. 

Seems like I'm missing something.

#2 BrendaH

BrendaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

I would love to delete unused places, and would love to correct places that say, "under the tree in Vermont" but I don't know how to find which places are unused, nor do I know how to find the one event that has a location of "under the tree in Vermont"....  How did you do that?

#3 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:59 PM

Go to List>Place List> On right side of the Place List is Unused Places Click and delete away

For "under the tree in Vermont" try Search>Find everywhere and see if that helps/

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

I would love to delete unused places, and would love to correct places that say, "under the tree in Vermont" but I don't know how to find which places are unused, nor do I know how to find the one event that has a location of "under the tree in Vermont"....  How did you do that?

Highlight "under the tree in Vermont" in Lists>Place List and then click the Print button.

Sadly, there is no Print button for Place Details under a Place.

Jerry

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:17 AM

I tend to keep properly georeferenced places and get rid of the "Under a tree" places. Sometimes the reason that the "under a tree" place is unused is because I corrected the location that cited it. 

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:37 AM

Highlight "under the tree in Vermont" in Lists>Place List and then click the Print button.

Sadly, there is no Print button for Place Details under a Place.

Jerry

There is only one reason a user may wish to keep an unused Place and that is where, although being currently unused, it has previously had Notes, Media etc. added to it, so is a reference item. Multi select for deletion has been wished for and confirmed as being on the enhancement request list.

It's only Monday morning and Jerry just had to remind me of the missing Print button on Place Details, and my therapy was going soooo well :D

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

There is only one reason a user may wish to keep an unused Place and that is where, although being currently unused, it has previously had Notes, Media etc. added to it, so is a reference item.

I strive not to have any Unused Places, so Vyger inspired me to check my production RM database this morning. I had one Unused Place, namely Jeffersonville, Fayette County, Ohio. That's not a place that I research very often, if ever, so I was inspired to check into why I had entered it if it was now unused. I couldn't remember any research I had done that would have led me to Jeffersonville. And the fact that RM's place list doesn't really have a reverse order mode of operation made my quest slightly harder than it otherwise have been. Which is to say, if RM's Place List would have allowed to look at the Place List in reverse order, the solution would have jumped out at me. I would have looked first at Ohio, then at Fayette County within Ohio, and then at Jeffersonville within Fayette County, and the solution would have jumped out at me. Because within Jeffersonville as a fourth level I would have seen "his residence". Namely, there was a death at "his residence, Jeffersonville, Fayette County, Ohio". I must have entered it first as "Jeffersonville, Fayette County, Ohio" and then changed it later to "his residence, Jeffersonville, Fayette County, Ohio", thereby creating the Unused Place.

I don't think I ever would have found the answer to my question of where Jeffersonville, Fayette County, Ohio came from in my database just by looking at the Place List. I might have found the answer from the Place List by doing a Print of all the places with the Reverse Place Names option enabled. What I actually did to find the answer was using Find Everywhere searching for Fayette AND Ohio. The answer more or less just jumped out at me after running Find Everywhere.

Which brings me to a wish for an overall revamping of Place Management in RM. I was recently playing with the free genealogy software called Gramps - not as an alternative to RM but as a way to import RM's GEDCOM and immediately export it back out again to cleanse the GEDCOM of all the RM-ism's I could think of. Gramps is much too limited to replace RM as my primary genealogy software, but since I had it installed I played around with several of Gramps's features. I noticed that it manages places left to right, and the hierarchy of places is very front and center. There are no limitations on how many levels there are, so that what would be Place Details in RM is just another level in Gramps. WIth Gramps you can clearly identify every level as a country or state or county (or kingdom or a duchy or a fiefdom or a province or a district or whatever), and you can provide dates for any item. RM supports dates for places, but only in Gazetteer or County Check, not in the user's own data. There may be major glitches in the Gramps approach to Place Management that I didn't see in my brief investigation, but it seems clear to me the Gramps approach to Place Management is much more in tune with my thinking than is the RM approach or the FamilySearch approach or the ancestry.com approach, etc. I like the Gramps approach.

And to close out with Unused Places, I don't know if or how finding and reporting Unused Places works in Gramps. But in my case it probably would have been a non-issue. I would have started out with a state of Ohio containing a county of Fayette containing town of Jeffersonville. Then later, for the death event in question I would have added another level of "his residence". Nothing would ever have been Unused.

Jerry

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

What I actually did to find the answer was using Find Everywhere searching for Fayette AND Ohio. The answer more or less just jumped out at me after running Find Everywhere.

I think it's extremely doubtful that RM will ever implement a multiple level system of places as I described for Gramps. But it occurred to me that even with RM's existing approach to Place Management that my little problem of finding a place in RM's Place List would have been greatly improved if all of RM's lists simply had good filtering and sorting instead of the existing "smart typing" into lists. In my case, instead of using Find Everywhere for "Fayette AND Ohio" I would have filtered the Place List by "Fayette AND Ohio". It would have been much faster and easier than using Find Everywhere, and the answer to my question would have just jumped out at me, the same way it did with Find Everywhere.

Jerry

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:00 AM

I think it's extremely doubtful that RM will ever implement a multiple level system of places as I described for Gramps.

I do hope you are wrong, apart from FTM2012 having a reversal feature back then another piece of software I am trialing has the same and it is extremely useful.

Not only can you reverse the listings to suit your geographical groupings, you can sort by any component, see how often the Place is used, if it is geocoded or blank, the last time the place was updated, see if Note or Media are attached, see a live listing of events at a highlighted Place and also view them on the embedded map. that is what I am hopeful for in RM8.

map-dream.png

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root