4 replies to this topic

#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

I guess my request was instrumental. For events in my ancestral town of Castelluccia (changed its name to Castelcivita on 25 January 1864) FamilyTree accepts the place name,

Castelluccia, Principato Citeriore, Two Sicilies

If I type in the name of the town on their web interface, this town name does not appear in the drop-down selection box until I have finished typing in the entire name. When the town name is input with an event in RootsMagic to a person already on FamilyTree, it flags the place name as non-standard. (It was Kingdom of the Two Sicilies around 1816-1859 and I'm not sure the cut-off dates)

This matters because Castelluccia, Principato Citeriore, Two Sicilies is the place name as it was known at the time of the event. If my Pietro Tancredi was born in that place and somebody else searches for Pietro Tancredi with the same place (or its modern equivalent, Castelcivita, Salerno, Campania, Italy) I want them to discover the connecting line so we can compare notes.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:03 AM

I was trying to decide whether to comment or not because I object so strongly to the Place Name Standard that my comments would be the same song, 99th verse. I think the LDS web site needs to throw out its Place Name Standard and replace it with Place Name Management that is vastly more useful and functional.

I will not list all my reasons again here since I have listed the reasons so many times before. But it's like the site wants one exact name (IT'S EXACT NAME) for every place on earth and the name has never changed over time and boundaries have never changed over time and that one exact name is acceptable for reporting purposes (including reports for non-genealogists and reports in languages other than English). And searches won't work in a reasonable fashion unless the whole world adopts the same dysfunctional standard.

Place Management needs to be much more flexible. Let's just leave it at that for now.

Jerry

#3 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:19 AM

Your position on Place Name Management is especially true when you consider that the church (San Nicola) is exactly the place when the town changes its name. That said, if it accepts Castelluccia, Principato Citeriore, Two Sicilies when you type in the whole name on the web interface, ...but it never offers it as a suggestion in the drop-down list until the whole name is spelt out, why doesn't it accept the same name as standard when submitted through RM?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:34 AM

Sounds like something that you would need to report to FamilySearch. If you have to put in the full name before you see a suggestion then something isn't right. It's probably also why what we send them isn't standardized either. It's not a RM issue, it's a FamilySearch issue.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

I remember when I could not submit sources through RM and FamilySearch replied that it was RM support that had to take care of it. RM developers worked with FamilySearch and eventually an update of RM was made available.