• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chrisbatt

chrisbatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:40 AM

I'd like some help please with one particular problem.  I've recently had to merge a lot of individuals on my database - some manual and some automatic.  In some cases I get duplicate entry of details (e.g. same birth details entered twice), but that's fairly easy to resolve courtesy of the delete record option.  However, I've found a lot of duplicate source entries in the citation manager.  I can remove these in the same way but, for example, when I generated a source list, because of the number of duplicate citations, I ended up with an 88 page report!

Is there an easy way to globally remove these duplicated citations?  Thank you.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

I'd like some help please with one particular problem.  I've recently had to merge a lot of individuals on my database - some manual and some automatic.  In some cases I get duplicate entry of details (e.g. same birth details entered twice), but that's fairly easy to resolve courtesy of the delete record option.  However, I've found a lot of duplicate source entries in the citation manager.  I can remove these in the same way but, for example, when I generated a source list, because of the number of duplicate citations, I ended up with an 88 page report!

Is there an easy way to globally remove these duplicated citations?  Thank you.

Duplication is an ever present and growing problem and there are many hopes RM8 will provide more assistance in tackling these problems.

However for now I would backup your database, take a screen shot of yout present file properties from the option under the File menu and then run all Automatic Merges from under the Tools>Merge option. Depending on the size of your database this might take quite some time to run. Once complete check your file properties again against the screen shot you took before the process, it may not deal with all but I would hope it reduces your count.

You are probably aware that the smallest difference in Date, Place, Source, Citation etc will result in duplication. That is because RM rightly perceives the details as being different in some way and will never make presumptions on the users behalf, so another way is to clean your Place List and Source List to make entries exactly the same and then export your file to gedcom and import it into another fresh database of another name.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 chrisbatt

chrisbatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

Really good of you to reply, Vyger. I did just try out your suggestion but only managed to remove 10 citations (I think I ran this merge before).  Still, that's an improvement on earlier, so many thanks.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:47 AM

These outboard procedures may help. https://sqlitetoolsf....com/tag/merge/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:50 AM

Also https://sqlitetoolsf...ete-duplicates/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 chrisbatt

chrisbatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

These outboard procedures may help. https://sqlitetoolsf....com/tag/merge/

Thank you for the links, Tom