4 replies to this topic

#1 carolene

carolene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:40 AM

Two humble wishes from a long time user:

1.  When opening the "cite existing source" tab, I wish there was a way to search.  So many times, I know I have a source already, but can't find it in the  l o n g  list. 

2.  Again in the citation manager, when clicking "paste" to insert a repeating source, it would be great if it automatically closed.  Instead, it's two steps--paste, close.  When inputting a large number of facts, the time adds up.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8333 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

If you click on a source in the list, and begin to type the name of the one you want, it will move to it.

It depends on how you work. I could see how if someone was adding multiple sources at one time having the citation manager close after a paste would get really annoying. You can hit the Esc key after pasting if you want it to close. It will save using the mouse.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:38 PM

1. Search would be great for those times you cannot remember the first letters (ship list or passenger list or NY ship list - I try to standardize, but I'm cleaning up some crazy old stuff).  Would like to search within source name and possibly an search anywhere limited to sources??

2. Hold the ALT key and type P O (paste, close)   Goes really fast.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3441 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:49 PM

There are already many wishes for all of RM's lists to be filterable and sortable.  A good filtering mechanism would probably satisfy your need for searching. In particular, a filtering mechanism  would only be "good" if it didn't have to start at the beginning of the text being filtered. For example, a filter should search for the string "ship" anywhere in the string being filtered and it would be better still if the the filter included some Boolean logic, viz., "ship" AND "list'. Only the developers know if this kind of improvement will appear in RM8.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8333 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:48 AM

Confirming these are on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic