9 replies to this topic

#1 bugged

bugged

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:50 PM

Rootsmagic Recommended Changes
I have been using RootsMagic 7.5.9.0 for some time and came across some things I would recommend changed/added to the application.
If you know of a way that this version does any of this now, I would greatly appreciate tips to make these work.  If not, I hope
the RootsMagic developers will consider adding these features in a future update of this application.

- Reports:
 -- Lists, Duplicates:  the results showing the duplicate names should include dates, places of major event (birth).
 -- Add a different list report to identify names that are are not linked to the database tree (unlinked people).
The criteria for this report list states (not linked to anyone).  So you will not get a Mother and Child only on the list even
though they are not linked to the database tree.  Everyone in my database should be linked in some way to me.  So I want to find
those names that are not linked to either my line or my husbands line.
 -- Lists, Individual list: the results should include the person's record number.
 -- Report, lists, all reports, source list, select source:  include option to show record number.
- Searches: 
 -- When you search the People List for something like a certain place, results should show the number of records found meeting
the search criteria, and as you go through the results, it identifies (on bottom of the window for example) the number of the toal records
found (i.e., 20 of 100).  I have a large database and it would be nice to have an idea of how many records I need to go through meeting the
search criteria. 
- Relationships:
 -- I have my pedigree/family tree and my husbands in the same database.  I did this because I found that we have some family linked
in both our pedigrees.  I have my line color coded in red and his in blue.  It would be great that when we have the same grandparents/family
in far generations, that the color would change to a third color indicating that person is in both pedigrees. 
 -- Each person's relationship should be identified when you set relationships to include spouses, for example my aunt's relationship
is identified but her husband is not identified as my uncle.  It should.
 -- Have it where the relationship is shown for your main tree wife and a second relationship for the husbands tree in the ribbon below;
currently the relationships only show for one root person, I have to change the root peron to see my husbands's relationships.
- Misc:
 -- allow use to increase the font size on the place list
 -- Search and replace should allow for dates to be searched/replaced.  I have imported records and ant to change things about how
the original person format dates.  The feature doesn't allow for a search/replace of dates.
 -- Unused Places -- add a feature to be able to select all and delete all unused places at one time instead of one at a time.
 -- When you merge two people and the name is slightly different, it puts the merged name as an Alternate name.  However, it does not
include the source that was saved to it before the merge.  It should.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:43 AM

from Bugged
- Reports:
 -- Lists, Duplicates:  the results showing the duplicate names should include dates, places of major event (birth).

Using Tools/Merge/Manual Merge or Duplicate Merge

Will list what you requested when you compare the dups to merge  BUT only if the data is already in RootsMagic and on each persons file. 

If using the report Duplicate list,  I have never used that for the reason you are suggesting change.

Nettie

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:33 AM

Rootsmagic Recommended Changes

As an avid wisher and developer I am sure most of your wishes have been covered before, however I am sure Renee will confirm in due course, but first I would post your wishes on the wish list linked below;

http://forums.rootsm...agic-wish-list/

I am wondering if you have RINs turned on under Tools>File Options, if not I would as another user with a large database I could not work effectively without them.

I would also advise working with Named Groups in People View as an alternative to pronted reports, which are currently not live, so you cannot move directly to the record in question to edit.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

Confirming these are on the enhancement request list. I moved the post from issues to here because I knew there were suggestions. I'm not typing as much right now due to my arm in a sling.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:35 AM

Add a different list report to identify names that are are not linked to the database tree (unlinked people).

You can use Tools / Count trees. When it equals 1, it means the person is not linked to anyone (even if the person share a fact as 'witness", he/she stays unrelated to the tree if no parent nor children to connect with).

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#6 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:43 AM

Unused Places -- add a feature to be able to select all and delete all unused places at one time instead of one at a time.

I downloaded SQLiteSpy and run the query from https://sqlitetoolsf...-Delete-Unused/

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#7 nwplouff

nwplouff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:23 PM

Request: more flexibility to specify in sources whether records are in physical form, on microfilm or online, in order to cope with the proliferation of online image databases. For instance, many vital record registers are now available online as images with searchable indexes. I am using "Vital Records (state, certificates, online)" as a source type, but it seems the defined fields are not always a good match for the details of citations.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

You can copy a source template and adjust it as needed. 

48. Sentence and Source Templates in RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 nwplouff

nwplouff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:09 AM

You can copy a source template and adjust it as needed.

Yes, but I was not asking for advice. Access to archived records is undergoing a massive shift. Perhaps a different approach from adding even more source types to the existing 500+ would be an improvement.

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3526 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:32 AM

You might want to develop your own templates that better meet your needs rather than using RM's built-in templates. Long ago I decided to develop and use my own Source Templates rather than using RM's built-in templates. Just from reading these forums, I get the feeling that other users who do the same thing end up with maybe a dozen or two dozen or so templates rather than hundreds. I'm not sure hundreds are really necessary, even for RM's built-in templates. It looks to me as if many of RM's templates are very nearly duplicates of other of RM's templates. For example, just look at how many different "book" templates there are in RM's built-in list.

As a part of preparing this message, I counted my templates and was chagrined to discover that the number has grown to 33. And here I used to think I only had a dozen or so. In looking at my list with a fresh eye, I see a few that perhaps I could combine together, but not very many. But even so, hundreds of templates simply doesn't make sense and I can live what is now nearly three dozen templates of my own.

If you look at RM's templates in detail, some of them differ from each other only in very subtle ways. For example, the "book" templates have to deal with reversing the author's name or not when there are multiple authors or when the author is an organization rather than an individual. RM's templates deal with this issue by having different templates, depending on whether you want the author's name reversed or not.

I have tried to avoid this kind of proliferation of templates by accomplishing the same sorts of things with options within an existing template rather than by adding additional templates. But it's really too late now for RM to make these kinds of changes to its template system. If you use source templates, whether RM's or your own, they become completely hardwired into your database and therefore it is really hard ever to change anything about them. So far, I have managed to add options to my existing templates in such a way that it's not disruptive to sources that are already using the template. But totally switching out templates would be a nightmare.

Jerry