• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Coughlan

Rob Coughlan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:29 AM

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem...I am sure they have.  I want to add the citation of a convict ident but can not quite find an existing citation that is fit for purpose.  could I ask please how other members have approached this issue.  Thank you.

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:46 PM

What is a "convict ident?"

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8477 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:00 AM

You could copy a source template that is close and tweak it. This webinar demonstrate how. 

48. Sentence and Source Templates in RootsMagic

00:34:04 - Source Templates
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 MargaretM

MargaretM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 01:23 PM

Hi Rob - I've only just seen your post so I don't know what you've decided to do in the meantime.

As Renee has suggested to you, I modified an existing template to follow a format used by The Tasmanian Family History Society in their journal. I can't remember which one I originally modified it was a few years ago.

This is an example of a footnote:

TAHO, CON14/1/35 pp. 142-143 William Spragg Joseph Somes (1) 1846 No. 18002

Where TAHO is the recognised/standard abbreviation for Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office

CON14/1/45 is the Item Number of the Indent Register (CON being the Creating Agency (Convict Department) and 14 being the Series (Indent's for Male Convicts)

pp. 142-143 are the actual page numbers as written in the book (not the image numbers)

William Spragg - convict's name

Joseph Somes (1) - Ship's Name and Voyage number (An Australia wide standard for identifying a particular convict ship voyage)

1846 - departure date

No. 18002 - Convict number/Police number

The format for a Conduct Record or a Description List is the same. It works very well and that reference will get you to the online copy or the microfilm copy of the Indent for that particular convict. I realise it's not the format used by the American journals or Evidence Explained etc. If you also wanted to include the Image numbers for the online "edition" you'd probably want to include date accessed and the permalink url.

I haven't used the NSW Convict records so I don't know if the above format would work with their records, sorry, but it might give you a starting point.

#5 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:27 PM

What is a "convict ident?"

I'm thinking indentured servant as a result of being convicted of a crime. This was very common in England for a time to address an orphan and vagrancy issue with many going to the Chesapeake (Maryland and Virginia; though I have not seen that phrase used here) and also later Australia.