• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dutchman

Dutchman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

I find the reports in Rootmagic rather generic, and they do not seem to have the ability to apply filter(s).

I would like to write my own reports in Crystal, but I need an ODBC connection to do this. I downloaded an SQLite3 odbc driver, but Crystal apparently cannot use this. Has someone done this successfully? Or perhaps opened the databse in MS SQL as I could write a report there too.

Any feedback welcome

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6263 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

Have you looked at this? https://sqlitetoolsf...-access-engine/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6263 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

And all list style reports in RM can be filtered on a named group...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6263 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

And all list-style reports in RM can be saved to tab-delimited text files and imported into spreadsheet programs...

#5 PatJ

PatJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:32 PM

ODBC driver for SQLite works perfectly with the RootsMagic databases - I use it all the time and use Excel for my reports since I just need the data, not the prettiness that Crystal Reports, SSRS etc. would give. Queries can be developed in SQLite then used in Excel data connections. I use the SQLite3 ODBC driver and SQLite Spy for development and can refresh the Excel reports for "real-time" updates from my RootsMagic. The main thing to remember is to close all Excel and SQLite programs before running a RootsMagic backup otherwise it hangs. Also the Fake RMNOCASE is needed https://sqlitetoolsf...t-in-sqlitespy/

and remembering to add COLLATE NOCASE in your queries for text fields.