8 replies to this topic

#1 AmisUK

AmisUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:37 AM

Hi,

I've been using RootsMagic for a number of years and I've got to the point where I need to record some personal details about some of my ancestors e.g. height, eye colour, scars.. which are available from some of the record sources I have (Maritime records).

What is the recommended way of doing this? Is there a way to create a custom fact that could include these details?

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

I seem to have  "description" in my fact list, but I don't recollect whether it was built in or if I made it as a custom fact. Either way, you could use it and edit the sentence template to suit the information you hope to record.

The template in my machine is "[person] was described as [Desc]< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>."

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:49 AM

The only place I have found so far is the draft registration cards and I use the description part of the Draft Registration Fact or in the research note.  One sentence is Sentence template:

[Person:HisHer] [Desc] [Date] [PlaceDetails] [Place]  or

Sentence template:
[Person:casual] <[Date]> filled out a draft registration card <[Desc]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

or in the Source/Citiation listing and in the Research Notes all information is copied to it. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3529 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

My approach is similar to Nettie's. I don't really have any sort of fact type for such information, but I have various fact types for draft registration cards, birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, etc. I include a transcription of the document in the note field for the appropriate fact type. Therefore the data becomes included in my RM database and in my RM reports. It's probably not exactly what you are looking for but it works pretty well for me.

Jerry

#5 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:58 PM

Does RM support the GEDCOM standard fact called: DSCR <PHYSICAL_DESCRIPTION>

PHYSICAL_DESCRIPTION:= {Size=1:248}
An unstructured list of the attributes that describe the physical characteristics of a person, place, or object. Commas separate each attribute.
Example:
1 DSCR Hair Brown, Eyes Brown, Height 5 ft 8 in
2 DATE 23 JUL 1935

#6 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:02 AM

Does RM support the GEDCOM standard fact called: DSCR <PHYSICAL_DESCRIPTION>

PHYSICAL_DESCRIPTION:= {Size=1:248}
An unstructured list of the attributes that describe the physical characteristics of a person, place, or object. Commas separate each attribute.
Example:
1 DSCR Hair Brown, Eyes Brown, Height 5 ft 8 in
2 DATE 23 JUL 1935

Yes - can be selected from list by clicking 'Add a fact', although its not one I've used.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:32 AM

What is the recommended way of doing this? Is there a way to create a custom fact that could include these details?

Description is a built in Fact Type so every one has it and it is intended for this purpose so don't go reinventing the wheel with new fact types.

Default sentence template is: [person] was described as [Desc]< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>. modify to your own needs.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:00 AM

1 DEST RootsMagic
1 DATE 7 MAY 2019
1 FILE doe.ged
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5.1
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UTF-8
0 @I33276@ INDI
1 NAME John /Doe/
2 GIVN John
2 SURN Doe
1 SEX M
1 _UID 9D3CB25233DB4BC58B630B0FC1185FE7226D
1 CHAN
2 DATE 7 MAY 2019
1 DSCR being 5'5" tall and having blue eyes, brown hair and a RootsMagic tattoo on his left shoulder.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

Civil War enlistment and discharge papers have some of the following:

height,  weight, eye color, hair color, and complexion.

My wife's ancestor was listed as 6' 8".  He was a big target.