• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 searchingfamilyhistory

searchingfamilyhistory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:18 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has installed and operated RM from an external hard drive, i.e Seagate, and the pros/cons of doing so. Is it even possible? I've seen tutorials which say C:/Program files is the preferred location but not that it is the ONLY location to which one could install and operate RM

Thanks

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:30 AM

I routinely install software into the default location (C:/Program Files) and place my data in either a separate partition or a separate physical drive. With one of my laptops, which has a rather small hard drive, I store my data on a microSD card. I have, in the past, used an external USB hard drive to store data.

I have had no problems with this approach.

My concern about installing the program itself on a removable drive is that Windows may freak out if you boot up without that removable drive connected.

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

In order to have the program run correctly from the external drive it would have to be installed in Windows anyway. Some program data (not your data) is held in the Windows registry and in C\Users\[your username]\Roaming. So you might as well have the program installed on your machines in its entirety and just move your data back and forth (or otherwise synchronize it).

Zhangrau is correct -- Windows is inflexible if it can't find what it expects.

There are some stand-alone programs (usually utilities like Autoruns.exe) which do not require Windows installation. RootsMagic to Go may partially do what you suggest (I'm not at all familiar with it), but I seem to remember that it doesn't provide the full RootsMagic facilities.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6161 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

RootsMagic To Go can install the RM app on a removable drive. It does not have to be a flash drive. Before a certain update, it would even install the portable RM to the system drive. It is fully featured but to update it, you have to do so from the updated RM To Go app. And that gets installed along with the normal RM app in the drive and folder you spec for its installation. So you're back to either drive C anyway or to installing the full system to the external drive.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has installed and operated RM from an external hard drive, i.e Seagate, and the pros/cons of doing so. Is it even possible? I've seen tutorials which say C:/Program files is the preferred location but not that it is the ONLY location to which one could install and operate RM

You should be able to install RootsMagic to any external Windows hard drive (or SSD) irrespective of drive letter designation. The only consideration is ensuring the device remains powered on, connected to the specific computer where software installation originally occurred, and identified as the same drive letter designation as at install time.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N