• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pilchuckgeneral

pilchuckgeneral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

Question: What is the correct way to list the location of events occurring in New York City in the early 1900s (like 1903)?  Would Brooklyn be listed as Brooklyn (city), New York (county) , New York (state), USA or would it be listed as Brooklyn, New York City, New York, New York, USA?  Also, I can't figure out how the place address and details would look like for Ellis Island.  Is it ok to list as New York City, New York, New York, USA....  I hope this makes sense, any help or guidance would be fantastic!

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:38 PM

I have dozens,if not hundreds, of Ellis Island immigrants in my data. I list the place as New York City or New York, New York depending on how I want the narrative reports to read. As with Brooklyn, which once had a separate corporate existence, but is now a "borough," or Kings County, there's little chance that any ambiguity will muddy the fact of the actual location of an event.

When the Dodgers left in 1957, Brooklyn is the place where baseball in America died. I record it as "Brooklyn, New York."

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:39 PM

Question: What is the correct way to list the location of events occurring in New York City in the early 1900s (like 1903)?  Would Brooklyn be listed as Brooklyn (city), New York (county) , New York (state), USA or would it be listed as Brooklyn, New York City, New York, New York, USA?  Also, I can't figure out how the place address and details would look like for Ellis Island.  Is it ok to list as New York City, New York, New York, USA....  I hope this makes sense, any help or guidance would be fantastic!

Try CountyCheckExplorer under Tools menu

For me Ellis Island would be a Place Detail.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 pilchuckgeneral

pilchuckgeneral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:20 AM

Thank you for your insight.  So it sounds like the best thing to use for Ellis Island would be the following:  New York City, New York, New York, USA...and then Ellis Island in the details.  Is that how you have typically entered that information?

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:18 PM

Thank you for your insight.  So it sounds like the best thing to use for Ellis Island would be the following:  New York City, New York, New York, USA...and then Ellis Island in the details.  Is that how you have typically entered that information?

FYI

New York City, New York, New York DOES NOT *AUTO* GeoCode (latitude & Longitude)

New York City, New York DOES
New York City, Bronx, New York DOES
New York, Bronx, New York, DOES
New York, New York DOES

BUT THEN

Manhattan seems to ONLY *AUTO* GeoCode as:
Manhattan, Queens, New York *WOW* and then standardizes the name to Queens, New York, United States ?!%*

I do not utilize the Place Details feature (for ease of GEDCOM transfer ) and have elected to go this route:

2019-04-30-171942.jpg

BTW

Ellis Island is in Upper New York Bay, east of Liberty State Park and north of Liberty Island, in Jersey City, New Jersey, with a small section that is part of New York City. The original island is apparently part of New York but all the reclaimed land is part of New Jersey. The iconic former U.S. immigration point is actually just north of the Statue Of Liberty monument in the New Jersey harbor waters:

2019-04-30-144434.jpg

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3405 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:40 PM

Ah, the joys of exclaves and enclaves. They are really quite numerous, just not always well known.

I think you are correct that 100% of the water around Ellis Island is New Jersey and that all the reclaimed land on Ellis Island is New Jersey. But the original land on Ellis Island is New York. Similarly, 100% of the water around Liberty Island is New Jersey but all of the land on Liberty Island is New York. It makes geo-coding very interesting.

Jerry

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:29 PM

It makes geo-coding very interesting.

It's all in the Detail(s) :D

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root