• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GalinAZ

GalinAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:50 PM

I opened RM7 Windows and created a new tree by going to Tree Share and syncing with a public tree I am the owner of on Ancestry.  I received all the media files however, only a few are connected as media to the person's profile .  There are 301 files.   I tried "fix broken media links" and it says there are no broken links.  Is there a reason I don't get a person associated with a media item?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:40 PM

Media tagged to a citation, e.g., won't be seen in a person's album. If you open the Media Gallery and step through selecting each item, you will see what each one is tagged to.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 GalinAZ

GalinAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

What I'm seeing is that there is no caption associated with the media item; just the file path/name.  I can't figure out how to attach a screen shot of the RM Media Gallery.  When I open the media properties, I can see the associated citations but why isn't their a caption?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:24 PM

I doubt that captions are transferred through the Ancestry API used by TreeShare. There is a MagicGuide that should answer that question.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:23 PM

I hope this doesn't muddy the water, but my understanding is that RM does no processing associated with the EXIF data that might or might not be associated with a media file. Rather, in the standard non-TreeShare RM environment, captioning information must be entered manually by the user through the RM user interface even if the media file has a caption in the EXIF data.

I also doubt that the Ancestry API supports captions, except that there might be a remote chance (and I really don't know) that ancestry's media files can carry the captions as EXIF data. Even if that were true (which I emphasize I don't know and I very much doubt), it would do no good unless RM processed the EXIF data.

Jerry

#6 GalinAZ

GalinAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:41 PM

I didn't do a good job of explaining.  In the Media Gallery view (List-->Media Gallery) Some of the media items have a person's name that appears at the bottom of the image and in the file name for the item.

However, many of the items have no person's name shown in the image nor in the file name.  As mentioned above, these items all ppear to be media associated with citations.  They are not indicated as related media in the person's profie (no checkmark in the media column).  The only way I've found to figure out if there is media associated with the person, is to click on the Media tag for that person.  Then I can see all the media associated with the citations but I have to open them to read them to see which item goes with which citation.

Why don't these synced media items get assigned to the citation?  There are NO tags assigned to these items.  They have meaningless file names, like this: E:\Bonnie\Genealogy\DNA Family Tree as of 4 26 2019_media\004215238_00769.jpg

I have over 300 items; Do I have to either add a caption or a tag to each one to give them a visible name or open them up to see what they are each time?

Another possibility: Does the tagging of media items continue in the background once the sync is finished?  Could I have interrupted that process?

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8452 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:53 PM

Sounds like your expecting to see a green check mark on the fact level under media for citation media. The citation media will not display there. You have to open the Source and look on the Media tab to see it. The media names are what Ancestry is sending us. Media downloading or tagging does not continue in the background when the download is finished.

There were reports of issues using Ancestry this weekend. It's possible the download you did was not complete. You can open a new blank database and try it again. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 GalinAZ

GalinAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:21 PM

Yes, I was expecting that if there were media items associated with a fact that the media boox would be checked. 

Does the fact that I have a source IMPLY that there is media associated with it? 

I will retry the sync with Ancestry and let you know if I get better document names for the media items.

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:29 PM

Does the fact that I have a source IMPLY that there is media associated with it? 

No. A citation may or may not have media associated with it.

RM is a bit inconsistent with its use of terminology when it comes to sources and citations. Suppose you check on a green check mark in the Sources column in the Edit Person screen. What comes up is the "Citation Manager" screen which listed "Sources". These "Sources" are really "Citations". You can't tell from the Citations Manager screen which citations have media and which do not. In order to figure that out, two more clicks are required. First you have to click the Edit tab. You will be in the Edit Source screen which is really editing citations. And then you have to click the Media tab to see if there are any media associated with the citation.

Jerry