No replies to this topic

#1 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:06 AM

One report I didn't realize existed in such a handy form until today was the Place List Report (from Reports, Place List, not Lists, Place List).

One of my (long term) goals is to be able to produce some migration patterns for the various family branches. In order to accomplish this I've placed a great deal of emphasis on cleaning up place names. This has yielded some pleasant side benefits, as I've found that  consistent place naming has enabled other other online searches to be more accurate (or work at all). An easy example is John Doe IN, US doesn't work as good as John Doe  Indiana, United States, and Methodist Cem, Berks Co. PA doesn't work as well as Methodist Cemetery, Berks, Pennsylvania, United States.

I've been very pleased with how merging places in the Place List and moving information into Place Details has worked. That said, working strictly from the Place List or Data Cleanup > Place Names can be a bit tedious, and the inability to jump directly to the place list to correct & merge a place name from an individual record is also a problem.

Tonight I was trying to create a report of counties Missouri in order to order some Family Maps of Missouri books and i generated the Place List report which I assumed was the same format as the Lists, Place List. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Place List Report in Country, State, County, City, Details format (and order). With the events included it'll help me find and correct a number of pesky place name issues. 

Sure, on my database its 800 pages, but scrolling through that as a PDF and making the corrections in RM without losing your place is an order of magnitude faster that using RM's lists and dialog boxes.