• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kidhazy

kidhazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:39 PM

When I open up a sub-window in RM7 (eg. to Edit Source) I often resize the window to allow easy viewing of long lines of text (eg. in the Research Notes section).

When I close and then re-open the window it uses a 'default' window size, rather than the resized dimensions I'd used previously.

Is there a way to have RM maintain sub-window dimensions between opens and closes?

Cheers.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3439 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:16 AM

There is no way in RM7 to maintain sub-window sizes between opens and closes. This sort of improvement in RM is much wished for. It's a specific example of the more general wish that RM remember things better (e.g. dynamic groups and remembering the search criteria for group; remembering whether lists of media files are in thumbnail mode or list mode, etc.). It will be interesting to see how much more information, if any, RM8 remembers than does RM7.

Jerry

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:29 PM

When I close and then re-open the window it uses a 'default' window size, rather than the resized dimensions I'd used previously.

The most annoying and badly programmed example of this which I am constantly being nagged by is Family List, mainly as I am doing a lot of family work. Every time I open the list it is fixed width and center division which actually truncates some standard format dates and not others, this is pure bad programming and I have highlighted this to Rootsmagic quite some time ago but little much needed tweaks like this never seem to get addressed.

So every time I open Family List I need to reposition the center division, the fixed width leaving much white space in all examples on every entry, the more infuriating thing is that the Family list window height is remembered but the width is NOT.

family-list.png

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root