I play with DataClean so seldom that this thread inspired me to revisit it. I decided to look at NameClean instead of PlaceClean for this revisit.
I'm with Renee in that when I do play with the tool, I find multiple filters to produce far more results than I can cope with. So I never use more than one filter at a time. When I first entered the tool this time, it remembered that the last time I played with the tool many months ago, I was using the "Misplaced prefixes" filter. It's a very Good Thing that NameClean remembers filters so well, especially since many parts of RM don't have such excellent memories.
But after that, my revisit if NameClean immediately went south. Out of a 60,000 person database, I had about 41 hits. It's hard to tell exactly how many hits there were because the list of hits doesn't identify how many hits there were. But more importantly, the list is almost completely unusable. You can't click on any of the hits to see the Edit Person screen for the person or to see the person in Pedigree View or Family View or anything like that. So there is absolutely no context to make a decision about whether to accept RM's recommendations or not. There is not even a Print button so you can make a copy of the list to paper or to a file and work the list from within RM's views and Edit Person screens.
Out of curiosity, I did write down one of the people on list - like write down on paper. So I exited NameClean and went to the person in RM. I had to go to the person by name rather than RIN because the list of hits does not include the RIN number. The person's name was Major K. D. Brown. The tool obviously is suggesting that his name was K. D. Brown and that he might have been a Major in a military force of some sort. This was a person I had imported into my database based on a GEDCOM from a fellow researcher. The import was forever ago, back when I was using PAF and even before I switched from PAF to Family Origins. I basically don't import such GEDCOM's any more, but back then I didn't know any better. It turned out that Major K. D. Brown died in 1970 so I'm comfortable using his real data as an example.
I am not related to him. Rather, he is the brother of another man who married a woman who was my second cousin three times removed. It didn't take very long to discover that - only a minute or two. The only citation I had was the old one that gave the name of the fellow researcher from whom I had imported the GEDCOM into PAF so long ago. But it only took my another five minutes or so using modern online databases to come up with a death index entry, an image of his actual death certificate, and an image of his obituary. In these documents his name was listed variously as Major G. Brown and Major Gilliam Brown, and and "Major" was his actual first name and not a military title. Indeed, there was no indication that he ever served in the military. I can't explain where my colleague came up with the K. D. instead of G. or Gilliam for the middle name.
Therefore, there is nothing to do in NameClean for this person except not to accept NameClean's recommendation. However, there is no way to tell NameClean that the name for this person is "not a problem" and not to present it to me again. Well, there kind of is, but it's pretty clunky. I can make a group of everybody in my database and restrict NameClean to that group. Then for people like this Major Gilliam Brown, I can remove them from the group. Then I will have to completely rerun my query because I had to destroy the results of the original query to look at Major K. D. Brown in Edit Person, in Pedigree View, and in Family View.