• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dutchman

Dutchman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:31 AM

I just purchased Family Atlas and I must admit that I am very disappointed with the atlas. I don't know how the atlas was created, but it looks like a five-year old drew it with a very shaky hand. Really???

With detailed maps available from Google and other sources, why are you not using these. Your maps are next to useless. There are no cities or villages displayed, no terrain information, just some arbitrary lines separating non-existing communities. As an example, in the Netherlands, there is no division in the province of Noord Brabant. I have no idea where you got West-Noord, Noord Oost, Zuid Oost from, but they do not exist!

I had expected much more, and I would not have purchased this if I had known how primitive this program was. Shame on you!

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:31 AM

I just purchased Family Atlas and I must admit that I am very disappointed with the atlas. I don't know how the atlas was created, but it looks like a five-year old drew it with a very shaky hand. Really???

With detailed maps available from Google and other sources, why are you not using these. Your maps are next to useless. There are no cities or villages displayed, no terrain information, just some arbitrary lines separating non-existing communities. As an example, in the Netherlands, there is no division in the province of Noord Brabant. I have no idea where you got West-Noord, Noord Oost, Zuid Oost from, but they do not exist!

I had expected much more, and I would not have purchased this if I had known how primitive this program was. Shame on you!

I am currently a Rootsmagic user but comtemplating a switch mainly due to the weakness of mapping within Rootsmagic. I do not agree with an additional program for mapping my genealogy as I prefer to work on live data from my database and not export snap shots each time I want to use mapping. I find the current Rootsmagic reference weak and dated, I have looked at Family Atlas and apart from not working on live data I did not like the look of the maps.

The program I am considering switching to uses OpenStreeMaps and performs the functions of setting markers and restricting timelines just like FA but with an online map source which I find well detailed in UK and EU. I am hoping Rootsmagic version 8 will combine professional mapping within the program which, will of course, be working on live data and will save me the learning curve of a new program, see snapshot from the mapping window of the competitor program below.

family-historian-map-view.png

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Dutchman

Dutchman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:53 AM

Thank you for your response, what you are showing is what I am looking for .....and had expected!

What is the name of the program you are considering moving to? Would love to check it out.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

Thank you for your response, what you are showing is what I am looking for .....and had expected!

What is the name of the program you are considering moving to? Would love to check it out.

You might get a clue from my signature, there is a full feature 30 day trial version.

Having said that I really do hope to stay with Rootsmagic but sadly the research comes first so it has to depend on the feature list and how it will work for me. I have a very sneeking suspicion that Family Atlas may fall by the wayside or stay in it's current version for non Rootsmagic users as to me it makes no sense to have mapping in a side program where the competition does not.

My note to self is do nothing until I see how things look after the release of RM8 which will hopefully be a well received success.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root