5 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen G-F

Stephen G-F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:43 AM

I have just downloaded this App to my Samsung J3 (2017) smartphone (belatedly just moved to a smartphone 6 months ago). I like the App for quick reference when away from my Desktop/Laptop. I'm impressed that the App includes my media comprising photos/images of people and documents such as vital (baptism, birth, marriage and death) and other records. These latter records, being documents, seem to be incapable of being viewed other than as a thumbnail so cannot be read. Is this just the way the App works and it has limited functionality or is the functionality limited by the processing power of the Samsung?

With the advent of RM8, will the App get a makeover to match?

Thanks in advance for any help with this subject.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:46 AM

The RM app only has access to the thumbnails because it only has access to a copy of the RM database. The RM database only stores thumbnails and not full images. Rather the RM database stores links to the full images along with its thumbnails.

In my case, the situation is even worse than that (on purpose!). I regularly find images of documents to be unreadable in RM, even on a Windows desktop. That's because the built-in RM image viewer produces somewhat grainy images which are very difficult or impossible to read in the built-in RM viewer if the image is already of poor quality. The built-in viewer also operates in modal mode so you have to dismiss the sub-window with the image before you can do anything else in RM. The built-in viewer if you are not very careful also has the bad habit of re-saving your image as you exit the viewer, even if you have not changed them image in any way. Re-saving a JPG reduced its resolution because JPG is a lossy format. For all these reasons, I link images of documents into RM as files rather than as images to protect them from being re-saved and to be able to see them from within RM in a separate window using a high quality viewer. That means I don't even get thumbnails for such images in RM. But such thumbnails are of so little use that I would rather lose them than have the other problems with RM's built-in image viewer.

Jerry

#3 Stephen G-F

Stephen G-F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:26 PM

Thanks Jerry, I guessed as much. 

Stephen.

I wonder if Renee would be able to comment on the App getting a makeover with RM8?

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

Thanks Jerry, I guessed as much. 

Stephen.

I wonder if Renee would be able to comment on the App getting a makeover with RM8?

I'm doubtful that Renee will be able to comment until much closer to the release date of RM8, possibly not even until the actual release date.

As for myself, I think there are two possibilities. The more likely of the two possibilities is that there is so much urgency associated with getting the RM8 desktop app out the door that the only thing that will be done with the mobile app will be to make it capable of reading an RM8 database. The less likely of the two possibilities is that the mobile app for RM8 will support updates to the database, which would be a major change. If this should come to pass, then the mobile app would then have to fully embrace and support the management of all media files. Then there would be secret option number three for the mobile app and RM8, the option that I don't have sufficient imagination to come even close to predicting correctly.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:41 PM

I am only able to confirm what Bruce has been said publicly on RM8. So far the only thing announced publicly is that RM8 is the native Mac version. However, I feel it's safe for me to confirm that the RM App update will not be released at the same time. Development is focused on the desktop version first. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6161 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:37 PM

One other thing that the RootsMagician has publicly promised is full support for sources for the Primary Name, currently a problem with TreeShare and with GEDCOM imports from Ancestry et Al.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.