6 replies to this topic

#1 nikheff

nikheff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:12 AM

As the topic title says, I would like to make a report to find free form source types but I'm not sure how to do it.

Is it even possible?  And if so, how to do it?

Thank you!

Nikki

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:31 AM

There really isn't such a report in RM. The best you can do is to go to Lists>Source List and scroll through all your Master Sources. As you do so, the source template that is associated with each Master Source is displayed in the upper right hand corner of the screen. So if you don't have too many Master Sources, you can scroll through them all and make note of which ones use the Free Form template and which ones use some other template.

If you are up to installing an SQLite manager and running a simple SQLite query, the following query will produce the information you seek.

SELECT S.Name
FROM SourceTable AS S
WHERE S.TemplateID = 0;

For more information about using SQLite with RM, see https://sqlitetoolsforrootsmagic.com/  Be aware that direct reporting on your RootsMagic database is not supported or recommended by RM. Rather, the RM user community has investigated how to do such reporting, led by Tom Holden.

Jerry

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:57 AM

I have never tried SQLite.  However, you could always make a newly named copy of your database and use SQLite on the copy.  That would avoid any fears of disaster with your normal database.

#4 nikheff

nikheff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:14 AM

Thank you both for your replies!  I had a feeling that it was not possible and had the same conclusion as Jerry, i.e., scroll through the master source list and make a note of who has that source type, but I had to ask anyway.

As for the SQLite thing, I'm not up for tearing my hair out today and I'll just make notes of who/what.  Good idea, though, that if one were to want to try it to make a copy of database first.

Nikki

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6257 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:33 AM

My 6-year old RMtrix utility has a report that can answer your question. https://sqlitetoolsf...ilities-rmtrix/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:26 AM

There are times that I make a copy of RM database to try out an SQLite update that I'm developing. But for pure queries, it's difficult to so how they are anything but 100% safe to run on my production RM database. And 99% of my use of SQLite is for pure queries.

I have sometimes informally wished that RM had a facility to run user developed SQLite queries, sort of a built-in SQLite manager. It would surely be a very easy thing to add to RM. If such a thing existed in RM, then you could easily just copy and paste the little SQLite query that I posted above into RM and run it - much easier than downloading and installing an SQLite manager on your own. It would be completely safe to do so.

In the meantime, I would highly recommend downloading and using Tom's RMtrix utility. It's easy to download and use, and you don't have to write any SQLite code on your own.

Jerry

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:59 PM

I have sometimes informally wished that RM had a facility to run user developed SQLite queries, sort of a built-in SQLite manager. It would surely be a very easy thing to add to RM. If such a thing existed in RM, then you could easily just copy and paste the little SQLite query that I posted above into RM and run it - much easier than downloading and installing an SQLite manager on your own. It would be completely safe to do so.

As I am sure you are aware a facility to run user developed queries is available in another genealogy program. Talking development schedules offline with a user from that group the feeling was that implimenting this facility really took the pressure of mainstream development of the other program which is not such a problem as it is pretty feature rich as it is.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root