Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:20 AM

Hi,

I share children's birth with their parents with sentences like 

<% his | her><%Person% son| daugter>, [Person], was born in  [Date:Year]

as well as children's death, parent's death, spouse death, parent's divorce, family residencies,... 

I basically like to have this chronology and it helps me identify missing facts but this is quite time consuming. Is there a way to share such fact automatically -> share all births with respective parents ?

Thanks in advance

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

A narrative report [several choices of ] or Summary report will give you that.  or Customize the People screen.  You have choices of viewing, Pedigree, Family, Descendants, People, WebSearch. Timeline.  Use your F1 which is your help screen to figure out what will work the best for YOU.  Every one works differently so there is no one way to do this.       My personal preference is not to use shared facts, But I use a Family Group Sheet for this. .   As they do not transfer in a gedcom file correctly.  Unless something has changed with that. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:32 AM

Thank you!

You are right, the "time line" shows me my age when my sister was born, my dad remarried, my dad died, my children are born,... exactly what I was looking for! Since I shared those events, they appear twice. I am glad I asked the question before I filled the database. 

I think I will keep sharing family residence, parent's divorce and half-sibling birth as they do not appear in children's timeline (and are not in the options).

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:19 PM

My basic policy is "don't use RM's shared facts because they don't play well with other software". But I make a couple of exceptions that are similar to yours. My exceptions where I do share facts are only for the purpose of improving the appearance of narrative reports. If my data is transferred to other software, no real data is lost.

I'm not sure I understand your "they appear twice" comment. If you share a birth for a person with the person's parents, the birth does appears "twice" (or really three times, if you count both parents). Isn't that what you want?

In any case, my two exceptions are as follows. First, I share family events such as marriage and divorce with both spouses. This is to cause the events to appear in narrative reports both in the individual timelines for the spouses and also to appear in the family section of narrative reports. Second, I add a new fact type called Parents immediately after the Birth fact for a person, and I share this fact with both parents. It has a really similar effect to sharing a birth fact with both parents. But I prefer the Parents fact. One reason is that the Parents fact provides a place to attach evidence of parentage, and I don't think the birth fact is appropriate for such evidence. The other reason is that I really add the parents twice to the Parents fact. First, I add the parents by sharing the Parents fact with the parents. This is what prints in RM narrative reports. Second, I list the parents in the Description field for the Parents fact, I disable the Description field for the Parents fact from Narrative reports, and I enable the Description field for the Parents fact for GEDCOM export. That way, the name of the Parents and the associated citation appears in narrative reports, the names appear as parents only one time in narrative reports, and the Parents fact and associated citation are not lost when transferring the data to other software.

Jerry

#5 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

My basic policy is "don't use RM's shared facts because they don't play well with other software". But I make a couple of exceptions that are similar to yours. My exceptions where I do share facts are only for the purpose of improving the appearance of narrative reports. If my data is transferred to other software, no real data is lost.

I'm not sure I understand your "they appear twice" comment

Totally agree. What I meant by "appear twice" is that the shared fact (such as children birth) appear twice in the timeline view (once because it is a default option and a second time because I shared it).

One reason is that the Parents fact provides a place to attach evidence of parentage,

I used the Parents source just below the spouse in edit person to store the evidences in family sources (https://ibb.co/x8dPKpX)

This, once again, works fine with RM but not other softwares. I would like to find the best method for my RM database to work 100% in Family Historian...the way to use facts and sources (I used templates) is not working.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:24 PM

I used the Parents source just below the spouse in edit person to store the evidences in family sources (https://ibb.co/x8dPKpX)

This, once again, works fine with RM but not other softwares. I would like to find the best method for my RM database to work 100% in Family Historian...the way to use facts and sources (I used templates) is not working.

I agree that RM has a Parents source just below the spouse in the Edit Person screen, but I disagree that it works just fine. Indeed, I think it works worse than poorly. I think it works not at all. 

Such a Parents source looks just fine in RM's Edit Person screen. But when you print a narrative report or export a GEDCOM, the standard Parents source in RM sort of gets lost in the shuffle. The reason is that the standard Parents source in RM is a family source. That means that it's associated only with the couple and not with the children at all. If you print a narrative report, the citation superscript appears in the family section of the report for the parents. It appears not at all for the child. And indeed, even in the couple's family section of the report there is not a fact or a sentence  with which the citation can be associated. Instead, the citation superscript just sort of floats in mid-air in the report, not associated with anything.

And the problem is worse than that.  Suppose you have evidence A for the parentage of one child and evidence B for the parentage of another child in same family. And suppose you enter evidence A into RM as the evidence in the Edit Person screen for the first child and suppose you enter evidence B into RM as the evidence in the Edit Person for the second child. You will then find that both evidence A and evidence B appear in the Edit Person screens for both the first child and the second child. There is nothing that ties evidence A to the first child and evidence B to the second child.

These exact same problems become echoed into RM's GEDCOM. The evidence of parentage that becomes a family fact in RM then becomes associated with a FAM record in the GEDCOM instead of to an INDI record in the GEDCOM. Hence, the evidence is not tied to the child at all.

An explicit Parents fact that you can add to RM solves the Parents source problem completely. But unfortunately, an explicit Parents fact is not a standard anywhere in genealogy. It is badly needed.

Jerry