• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 orbitakom

orbitakom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:49 AM

How to translate birth and education and living into other language??

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6113 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:14 PM

Not possible until RM implements support for translation. That may be never.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 BlazeMagic

BlazeMagic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:42 PM

I’m just learning about Roots Magic now so forgive me if this isn’t helpful, but along with Googles translation service online, you can get it on your phone and translate things just by pointing them at your screen.
Changes in the software itself would be the best solution, but I’ve found it pretty handy for things when I just need to figure out a few words in another language.

#4 orbitakom

orbitakom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

I use free verson

if I will use full verson  can I create facts in other language I mean can I create fact birth in other language

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8244 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

There would still be an issue with sentence templates being in English. If you create a new fact for the birth it won't be used as the default birth fact and appear in the info areas and on some reports. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3332 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:37 AM

You can define your own sentence templates in a language other than English. For example, the default sentence for the Birth fact is

[person:full] was born< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

This sentence could be translated, for example, into Norwegian as

[person:full] var født < [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

The variable names still look like English, but that alone is not a problem. The [person:full] variable would be replaced by the person's name which presumably would be a Norwegian name. The [PlaceDetails] and [Place] variables would be replaced by the actual PlaceDetails and Place values which presumably would represent Norwegian place names. The [Date] variable would be a problem because months would be rendered in English. The best you could do to solve this problem would be to save the report in a RTF file and do global replaces of the month names in the RTF file before printing. It's a solvable problem, but it's a pain.

The unsolvable problem is that there would still be portions of narrative reports that are not under control sentence templates at all. The two major offenders are the sentence for the spouse of the direct descendant or direct ancestor, and the carry forward sentence for children in descendant narrative reports of type NGSQ (modified register) and NEHGS (register).

RM really needs a second level of templates for strings - for example, for date strings and for place strings. Templates for place strings could, for example, control the inclusion or exclusion of the word "County" in place names. Templates for date strings could handle month names in different languages. RM also really needs to assure that all text in reports is under the control of templates instead of having some of the text being hardwired into the program.

Jerry

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6113 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

Adding a little to this discussion is this post of mine from a year ago at https://sqlitetoolsf...r-than-english/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3332 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

I had forgotten about Tom's excellent summary of issues with RM and language support. I highly recommend it.

I'm pretty hyper about needing better ways to display places. One way might be place string templates. Political subdivisions such as County really need to be displayed, even in English. And for sure you need a way to display Germany as Deutchland or Tyskland or Allemagne etc. I think this need extends to data interchange, where the data interchange engines of the world should understand certain aspects of different languages when interchanging dates and place names.

Jerry