12 replies to this topic

#1 Jesper Beenfeldt Nielsen

Jesper Beenfeldt Nielsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:25 AM

Hi,

I use Rootsmagic 7 on my desktop computer. I back up using the build in Dropbox-feature.

Now I am going to have some weeks in the summer house, and I want to work on my family tree in the house using a laptop.

What is the best way to bring my database?

My own suggestion: Make a backup on the desktop computer, move the backup file to the laptop, restore the backup and continue working on the laptop. When I return to my home, I will do the same in the opposite direction.

Is this the best way?

The media files will not be transferred this way. That's not a big issue for me, but will it destroy the connections to the files when I return?

Another solution would be to use Dropbox or Onedrive as a location for the database file. But I have read posts here warning against that method because of the danger of corrupting the file.

Thank you

Jesper

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:21 AM

Another solution would be to use Dropbox or Onedrive as a location for the database file. But I have read posts here warning against that method because of the danger of corrupting the file.

The warnings are real as you cannot access the same database file on more than one machine without creating a conflicted copy on Dropbox. Say for example I am working on Rootsmagic on my Desktop and put the computer into sleep mode but then open the laptop to check something in my file, I have inadvertently created a conflict, so one needs to employ a discipline and also make sure no one else accesses the second machine.

I would also Install Dropbox (or other) on both machines and log in, therefore you will have a copy of your Dropbox folders on your local hard drive(s). If you are not connected whilst away these folders will sync up when you return home and establish a connection (don't open the Desktop version before that sync completes.

I have my database file in Dropbox and being aware and mindful of the potential problems I have reliable working at home or on holiday.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:51 PM

Simply transfer your data files from the computer you are leaving to a flash/external drive. this would include your RM7 database and media folder.

Switch to your laptop, copy the files over to the same folder structure and start using them. Just make a clean break from one computer to the another.

You probably have many other files on your desktop and so should just copy your my documents, my desktop, my pictures folders along for the 2nd computer. Then just reverse the process to return.

#4 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:31 PM

Jesper, I do exactly what you are planning to do.  I connect the two computers over my home network, then use Free File Sync (https://freefilesync.org/) to move files from desktop to laptop.  When I finish working on the laptop, I re-synchronize back to the desktop.  This is very fast and easy.  I also backup all files to the cloud (I use OneDrive for genealogy stuff) just to be sure all files are safe.  This does not require the use of RM backup or restore.  I use many of the same actions to back up my photography files (>22k images) and all important files to my various backup drives and cloud repositories.

Cautions:

1.  always remember which is your authoritative copy, so you don't inadvertently overwrite important files.

2.  synchronize from the one you've been working on BEFORE you start working on the other.

Hope this helps!

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#5 Jesper Beenfeldt Nielsen

Jesper Beenfeldt Nielsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:05 AM

Thank you all for your clever advices.

I am now in the summer house working on the family from my laptop, so your help worked!

One caveat: I had to relink my media files. On my desktop the document folder - and therefore the Rootsmagic data folder - is on the E: drive. On my laptop it is on a more normal C: drive, so that had to be done, but it is a quick operation. Of course I must do it again when I return to the desktop.

Thanks again

Jesper

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:54 AM

Thank you all for your clever advices.

I am now in the summer house working on the family from my laptop, so your help worked!

One caveat: I had to relink my media files. On my desktop the document folder - and therefore the Rootsmagic data folder - is on the E: drive. On my laptop it is on a more normal C: drive, so that had to be done, but it is a quick operation. Of course I must do it again when I return to the desktop.

Thanks again

Jesper

Quick note for future changes which is quicker than running fix broken links, go to Search&Replace, select Multimedia File Names, search for "C:\" in your case and replace with "E:\" of whatever is necessary.

During my work years I carried my genealogy on a USB stick to work with RM2Go including my media and was doing this on a regular basis.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:26 PM

Another trick to harmonising drive letters between laptop and desktop is the use of a common virtual drive letter. Map your RM media folder (or your entire Docs folder) on each device to, say, M: drive, or any letter well removed from the range used by fixed drives and plugin devices.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Jesper Beenfeldt Nielsen

Jesper Beenfeldt Nielsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

Thank you, I will follow one of your advices next time. You have been most helpful.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:34 PM

An interesting discovery I've made is when you use 7-Zip to open a RMGB file, you can open the zipped RMGC file in it simply by clicking on it - no manual extraction is required. 7-zip automatically extracts it to a temp folder in your user area (you can see that in the RM header) and launches RM in a child shell of 7-zip on that extracted database. When you close the RM app, 7-zip is informed and prompts you to replace the RMGC file in the RMGB file with the temporary one you've been working on. What's neat about this method of working on a database is that this master RMGB file can be in a DropBox or other actively synced folder. Opening the zipped database using 7-zip keeps the rapidly changing database file outside of the purview of sync monitoring. Only after closing RM does the actively synced RMGB file get updated and then synced to the cloud and other devices. No need to pause sync while working on the database.

Caveat: I don't know if there are any 'gotchas'. I doubt that it resolves conflict between two computers having the database open at the same time - the RMGB file could have conflicts but 7-zip file lock might preclude corruption. For someone who uses 3rd party tools with the database concurrently with RM, there's the added step of having to find the database file in a different place each time it has been opened from 7-zip.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:16 AM

Winzip will do the same thing, and I suspect that there are other zip utilities that will do the same thing. 

I used to be very enamored of Winzip and of keeping all manner of files within Winzip. However, I gradually have moved away from heavy use of zip files. The reasons have to do with file management in general. The example you give of using 3rd party tools to access an RMGC database is a good example. Another example is that I use Irfanview regularly to take a quick look at all the image files in a given folder. That won't work if the folder is zipped. Another example is that I use Agent Ransack (a file utility) heavily to manage and find files. That won't work if the files are zipped. Another example is that zipping all your files makes it very difficult to do File>Open from any of your programs and forces you into double clicking and thereby opening the file from within the zip utility.

Nevertheless, I can see some very valuable use cases involving 7-zip or Winzip or similar tools, especially with keeping a RM database in cloud storage as an RMGB file and sharing the RM database across multiple computers that I own and operate.

Jerry

#11 zlatarigirl

zlatarigirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:52 AM

Hi, I work on both my computer and laptop.  I use a Windows Transfer Cable USB, called Plugable, its great and only takes a couple of minutes.  Transfers data and images no problem and is very easy to do.

#12 Dora

Dora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

You can use Rootsmagic on more than one computer.   Maybe not literally at the same time, but why would you want to.   To transport your database from one place to another, I'd just put it on a flash drive.   You can put it on two flash drives if you want to be sure!

You can also put your Rootsmagic store folders on a flash drive, and your pictures will be there as well.

Keep in mind that if your other computer has different drive letters for things Rootsmagic won't be able to find your images unless you edit them, which you should be able to do globally by changing the C:// or whatever letter it is.

The whole point of services like Onedrive are to use files for more than one computer, so I'm not getting why that would be a problem, but these services have so many problems and shortcomings it didn't take me long to give up on them altogether.  

Dora

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:33 PM

The whole point of services like Onedrive are to use files for more than one computer, so I'm not getting why that would be a problem, 

The fundamental problem with using RM on services like OneDrive is that RM updates its database continuously rather than there being a File>Save at the end of a work session. After each time you update something in RM (which can be seconds apart), services like OneDrive will try to copy your database to the servers in the cloud. For obvious reasons, this can create huge network traffic. For reasons that are not so obvious, there also is apparently a risk that this process can result in corruption of your RM database.

You can use such services if you save RM backup files rather than RM databases in the service, or if you pause the service while you are you are using RM.

Jerry