• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kidhazy

kidhazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:28 AM

I'm trying to create a shared immigration fact to print out a narrative sentence similar to:

Joseph SMITH and Ann JONES arrived in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia in Jan 1857 at the age of 47, with

their children Barry (12), Clarence (10), Doris (10), Ernie (8), Fred (6), and Gloria (4), onboard the ship "Star of the East".

I have a shared Immigration fact that has been customised to include the roles, and it will print the given names of the children, but I can't get their ages at time of immigration.

My current sentence template is:

[Person] <and [Spouse]> arrived< [Place]> <[Date]>< [Person:Age]><, with their children [with Parents:Given]><, with [ThisPerson:HisHer] children [with Father]><with [ThisPerson:HisHer] sisters [with Sisters]><, [Desc]>.

I allocated the children the role of "with Parents" in the shared fact and their given names are printed.

(The other roles 'with Father', 'with Sisters' are for similar shared immigration, but different combinations of 'travelling companions' )

Does anyone know a way of also printing their individual ages?

I've tried [with Parents:Age] and [with Parents:Given:Age] but neither of these worked.

Thanks.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3534 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:46 AM

I'm pretty sure the functionality you seek is not currently included in RM. I'll be curious to see if anyone else has a solution.

I have run into the same issue with shared facts and the :Age variable. In my case, the fact being shared is the standard Marriage fact. I share the standard Marriage fact with the two principals to the marriage for the purpose of getting the marriage into timeline order in narrative descendant reports. The marriage still also prints outside of timeline order in the family section of the report. The family section does not depend on shared facts, and the report lists the ages for both spouses. But in the timeline order for each spouse, I can only get the age to print for "this" spouse and not for the "other" spouse..

For example, in timeline order where Amy's age is not listed.

Marriage: 24 Dec 1916, Gillespie Ave. Baptist Church, Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee, age 21, to Amy Etolye Buckner.

For example, in the family section where both ages are listed.

Marriage: 24 Dec 1916, Gillespie Ave. Baptist Church, Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee, Ernest Lester (Lester) Peters Sr., age 21 to Amy Etolye Buckner age 20.

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6217 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:31 AM

Reporting the ages of non-Principal sharers of an event (or the ages of those other than ThisPerson) requires an enhancement. Not sure if it has ever been requested.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:08 AM

Thinking about this 'problem' logically, the required sentence needs to be based on information which does actually exist within facts in the database and that information isn't recorded, so can't be automagically produced.

The mother and children don't have personal events against which their ages are recorded, they just 'share' (or 'witness') the single event recorded only against the father which simply contains his age, so where is the rest of the information to be acquired from?

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6217 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 04:12 PM

As long as a sharer has a birth date, then his age on the date of the Principal's shared event can be calculated. If the sharer does not have a birth date, then his age is null and the sentence template language has the means to suppress the associated text.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3534 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:27 PM

I concur with Tom's analysis. Unless you are actually missing some data, all the data required to calculate the ages for non-Principal sharers is already there in the RM database.

That being the case, what's missing is relevant support in RM's Sentence Template language. I think I have tried all the reasonable variations on the theme such as [Person:Age], [ThisPerson:Age], ["rolename":Age], etc. without solving the problem. The developers need to solve the problem.

Jerry

#7 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:37 PM

But that assumes the use of calculated ages, which is not necessarily the age(s) that appear in in the supporting documentation.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6217 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

But that assumes the use of calculated ages, which is not necessarily the age(s) that appear in in the supporting documentation.

That is correct. You have to decide upon a primary birth date in order for there to be any age calculation. If you wish to report the age shown on the document with the fact, put it into the fact description field or the fact note. Otherwise, you might put it in the Citation and have it come out in a footnote or endnote.