3 replies to this topic

#1 PollyH

PollyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:20 AM

I have discovered that I have a line of people to which I have no relationship whatsoever. I would like to remove that line completely. How should I go about this?

Polly

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:57 AM

I have discovered that I have a line of people to which I have no relationship whatsoever. I would like to remove that line completely. How should I go about this?

Polly

The only way is by Gedcom export and Import, MARK everyone in your database for Export and then UNMARK the line you don't want.

Import the gedcom into a new database and it will exclude the unwanted line.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

If the line is correct except for the relationship attachment to yourself, why not just break the link and leave them in the database?  If there is even a minuscule possibility that someone in that line may end up being a distant cousin, you'd have to reenter all the data.  I have many people in my database that are not related, but the data is there.  Most frequently they get entered when i'm trying to decide which "John Smith" or "George Davis" is my relation, so all the data is true but the relationship is speculative.

My opinion only, you should do what makes best sense for you.

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#4 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

Another way, similar to what Vyger suggested, is to make sure that the unwanted line is not connected at all to anyone that you want to keep. Then open a new database, select anyone in the line that you wish to keep, then drag and drop the entire line into the new database.

There is a video on RM's website that goes over how to do this. It works quite well.