112 replies to this topic

#101 History Hunter

History Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:37 AM

I'll give the <esc> key a try next time. Thank you.

The issue seems to be that modal windows were not used correctly. The design concept of a modal window was for interactions that must be completed before doing anything else. That means they need to be, and are in good practice, coded such the they are always on top and cannot be hidden. The RM7 program seems to have missed this.

You'll notice that good Mac programs tend to use very few modal windows and then generally only for critical interactions.

#102 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:13 PM

I'm still willing and able to beta test RM8 for the Mac.

#103 Malcolm Perrins

Malcolm Perrins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:46 PM

Will Apple moving from Intel to ARM chips in their Macs cause concern to RM v8?

#104 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:18 AM

It may be optimistic to assume that there is a beta RM8 to test!

Don't worry about ARM macs which are 2 years away from no intel. Worry that RM8 is still vaporware!

#105 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

It may be optimistic to assume that there is a beta RM8 to test!

Don't worry about ARM macs which are 2 years away from no intel. Worry that RM8 is still vaporware!

But don't you just love those vaporware demo's, they can do anything with cgi these days :D

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#106 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:53 PM

RM8 Edit Screen -- https://www.youtube....h?v=Ri-TSh0Fg0w

RM8 Reports, Charts, Publish, and Search -- https://www.youtube....h?v=k4FE-KmKF0Q.

#107 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 05:51 PM

Just watched RM8 Reports, Charts, Publish, and Search and it doesn't look bad. I'm (Macbook Pro user here) actually looking forward to RM8.

I did notice on the Publish screen, Bruce showed a "Save To File" icon.....of a, I dunno, what is it, a Floppy Disk? 

Anyway, I'm not sure young people even know what a floppy is, so maybe think about a different icon. ad957.png  Just thoughts.

#108 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 12:17 PM

Are all RootsMagic employees CGI or virtual? Maybe just two left? They obviously are not making any Mac sales. I am back to using it exclusively on a PC. Even there, it has "issues", just not as prevalent as on a Mac. 

#109 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 03:06 PM

you are right--the mac forum has been dead for months. However I will never return to the awful windows world after escaping on retirement.

I have just finished testing all of the native mac programs with disappointing results:

FTM 2019 is OK except all text is very small and cannot be adjusted. Media is dumped into one folder and you have to fight the program to use subfolders although you can categorize each item. Websearch is so so. Hints are great.

Reunion has no pdf or print manual you can peruse and the person screen splits information into name, event and fact sections requiring clicks to reach. I am comfortable with their source and citation approach where essentially all information is in the source. This avoids the confusing overlapping fields common to other programs for sources and citations.

macfamilytree has a horrible pedigree or tree display and the person view requires much scrolling to see media event..facts etc. Text except in the tree view is good. No print manual and the few reviews are not very positive. Great familysearch integration.

heredis has tiny instead of very tiny text but support and knowledge base are just what you would expect from a french company. Both heredis and MFT bundle media into the database which makes for a large file but no broken link issues.

Rootsmagic 7 has a lot of windows quirks on a mac and looks awful but you can make the text quite readable and the person screen is outstanding. All data displayed at once with sources, media and notes a click away. If RM8 ever appears and you can still make the text readable I will jump at it. For now I plan to clean up my 350 person RM7 file and hope for RM8. Unfortunately Bruce demos RM8 on windows so I am unsure if the mac version will have readable text size.

#110 pbooth99

pbooth99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 07:18 PM

you are right--the mac forum has been dead for months. However I will never return to the awful windows world after escaping on retirement.

I have just finished testing all of the native mac programs with disappointing results:

I have similar feelings as you about the other genealogy apps on OSX. I do use MacFamilyTree on rare occasions, specifically because of their familysearch integration, but Rootsmagic remains my primary app.

I bought a tiny minipc, about the size of a VCR tape, to run windows10 with Rootsmagic and genmerge installed because there are times when the frustrations of the mac version of RM are too frustrating. As a developer, its easy for me to moan about the state of genealogy apps, and everytime I think "I could do this better" I look at the evidience of others who thought the same and didn't do it better. There seem to be some application categories (personal finance being another) where its just intrinsically difficult to create something good. Rootsmagic is still the best tool in my toolbox, though I do wish the company were more transparent.

</whining>

Peter

#111 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:19 AM

Peter

Can you tell us which windows box you are using and do you use it headless? How do you have it setup?

I have RM7 and a few other windows apps that I use and this sounds like maybe a good try?

Roger

#112 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:34 PM

#113 pbooth99

pbooth99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:59 PM

I'm not running headless. I'm using a tiny ACEPC AK1 Mini PC, with an Intel Celeron Apollo Lake J3455 CPU - they cost under $200 on Amazon. I have it connected to a 27" 4K Dell monitor that cost double what the PC did. I like it so much that I have bought two more mini-PCs - one is an Intel NUC acting as a Roon music streamer and the other is a Weidian fanless i7 with 6 ethernet ports that I use for networking experiments - it looks like a spiky black heatsink. I have found it much easier to have an actual windows device compared with using Virtual Box or Parallels.